Attempting a second generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempting a second generation

Am I right in thinking that it’s not necessary to wait for total dryness before attempting a late crop of peas.

I’d like to try growing on a second generation of Opal Creek x Sugar Magnolia. There will be lots of seed so not too much wasted if they don’t succeed - except time, compost and hopes!

Picture shows what they’re like now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	48358E6F-8949-4C48-BB45-D728C15D31AA.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	772.5 KB
ID:	14651

I don't think it is necessary, though in the past (for whatever reason I had) I let them dry a little before sowing.

I started some pea seeds not so long ago, so I'd go for it. Mildew I find the worst enemy.

Funny you posted about these as I thought I had some F1's of this same cross growing, but looking closer at the variety of plants/pods they must be F2's.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it was your suggestion for a cross. Thank you!

If my F2s succeed at all perhaps we can compare variations.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm, how weird I'm sure I replied to this earlier but no comment from me?????

No need to wait. I have shelled and sown straightaway, but still sown indoors rather than outdoors to see what is going on. Shallow on top of compost and barely pushed in. They were up in no time at all. Good luck. Don't worry if the plants get badly mildewed. Charlie's Goldsnap were like this, but mildew at harvest time does not go into the seeds however terrible the pods look. Good luck.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Sown yesterday so looking forward to some results at least. Also sowed Opal Creek x Shiraz.

Oh my goodness, this is one of the crosses I wanted to do this year but I bought and sowed OC far too late for the flowers to match up!

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I should have loads of F2 seed if you would like to grow some on.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry no F1 or F2 seeds left, but looks like you are covered by Jang.
Working...
X