Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounding really positive

Comment

The tall yellow is looking really good, with 6 little pods in pairs, four flowers and some buds too. The pods look strangely narrow which I actually kind of like, and I'm tentatively hopeful that they are the snap type but I still can't really tell properly.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        This could well be a snap pea. I found it hard to tell initially. And yellow snaps are likely to be smaller than greens for some reason.
        Last edited by Galina; 08-07-2016, 07:39.

• Silverleaf
        Silverleaf commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll have to look up linkage groups!

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes please, interested in what you find.

Pretty sure today that they are snaps.

Comment

Absolutely totally sure now that they are indeed snaps.

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you get a chance to look at linkage groups?

• Silverleaf
          Silverleaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I didn't! I'll try to find some time later. I've been distracted by catching Pokemon.

Lots of the F3 plants completely confused me by producing loads of pod fibre. Totally frustrating to find a great-looking and -tasting snap only to discover horrible fibre making them useless. I don’t know how that could happen with this cross as one parent is fibreless and the other only has partial fibre in mature pods, but oh well.

I did find a few small fibreless snaps so we’ll see what those seeds produce in the F4. Some have wild type flowers and some white, which is fine with me!

I can always make a second cross with this in future, either to Sugar Lord or a larger yellow snow (I have one from Golden Sweet x Purple Podded that looks very promising) to get a bigger yellow snap. Should be pretty easy.

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          From my initial crosses that went into CEG I made similar observations. There was more fibre than I expected (but I didn't expect much at that time anyway). Quite weird seeing a yellow, short blunt ended fibrous pod. I didn't follow up any of these, just surprised that the cross between a mangetout and a semi mangetout can produce a classic shelling pea.

• Silverleaf
          Silverleaf commented
          Editing a comment
          I know, isn’t it weird! I have no idea how that can happen.
      Working...
      X