No announcement yet.

Golden Sweet x Absolute Zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the flower, very obviously yellow plant with some antho (they should all have antho). I think you're right, the flower colour will be obvious tomorrow.

And a different plant, another yellow with gorgeous pink stems. This one has a couple of buds tucked away waiting to emerge, so it's only a day or two behind.

The plants seem way too young to flower yet, but I'm not going to complain about early production! I don't think these will be super-tall, but I'm hoping they'll be over a metre.

I can see some clear differences in foliage colour between the plants - unfortunately it looks like none of the yellows have dark foliage, but I did sow the remainder of my seeds so there's still a chance it'll happen!

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      just look at that pink stem in the second photo.

• Silverleaf
      Silverleaf commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, isn't it lovely? Neither parent has much antho in the stem. There's a couple of yellow plants with pink stems but that one's the most intense. It has pinkish tendrils too!

These are looking so pretty (even if they aren't showing the dark foliage) Looking good

Comment

Took longer than expected, but here's the first flower showing colour. Looks like a normal wild type purple to me, just as I thought from the foliage colour. I do like the contrast of the lemon-yellow calyx with the maroon petals.

Comment

Since I might not have the desired combination of dp and gp, I'm planning what I'll do to take this forward if that's the case.

I could save seeds from yellow-podded plants, because 2/3 of them will be heterozygous for dp and so a good number of the next generation should have dark yellow pods.

Alternatively (or in addition), I could save seeds from dark-podded plants for pretty much the same reason - because 2/3 will be carrying gp. This is assuming that I can tell the difference between dark pods and normal ones!

Comment

I had pink flowers appearing in the F3 of the little Sugarbeth snaps to my delight. There is always next year. Do you have F1 seeds left? If you get both types dp and gp next year, would crossing the plants work? But you would need to save seeds from both.
          Last edited by Galina; 01-06-2016, 08:32.

Comment

No, I didn't get many F1 seeds and I sowed them all last year.

I don't think I need to make any more crosses - just growing out seeds from the dp and/or gp plants should give me some plants of the type I want. I'll figure out the numbers and see whether it's reasonable to expect them, but I'm hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverleaf View Post
              Took longer than expected, but here's the first flower showing colour. Looks like a normal wild type purple to me, just as I thought from the foliage colour. I do like the contrast of the lemon-yellow calyx with the maroon petals.
              That really is a stunning contrast.. Hope you maintain this one too.....would be beautiful in veg patches.

Comment

Okay, after slug losses and discounting a few tiny dwarf plants, I'm left with 3 yellow-podded plants and 1 muddy-flowered one. Unfortunately I definitely don't have the two traits together, but I can always grow out another generation.

Comment

Out of nowhere though, this flower opened and it's a colour I didn't know existed in peas! I'll have to look at the gene list again because it's clearly completely different to the muddy and wild type flowers I was expecting from this cross.

I'd probably describe it as a dark magenta. The standard is a really intense pinkish purple and the wings a deep maroon. It really stands out against the wild type.

Where on earth did that come from?

Comment

Comment

Absolutely stunning!! Please develop this as already coveting!

Comment

Originally posted by Hector1 View Post
                        Absolutely stunning!! Please develop this as already coveting!
                        Sure, I'm definitely going to save seeds from this one but as I have no idea what's going on genetically I don't know what will happen next generation... But if I can stabilise it I'll definitely share!

Comment

Is this the first flower on one of the plants? Wonder how the other flowers to come will compare. Absolutely stunning photo, Silverleaf.

Comment

Yeah, first flower. The second flower isn't so intense but of course it's younger and the colour isn't fully developed yet.

Comment

Really pleased for you and worth waiting for. Lovely photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X