No announcement yet.

Golden Sweet x Absolute Zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I really wasn't expecting this, but it's most welcome.

The second flower is now dark magenta as well, and the first has darkened a little more and is developing more blue. Totally what I expected to happen.

Comment

However it was caused, it is very pretty. Love the colour of the wings. Hope it stays as a flower colour down the line.

Comment

Second magenta flower today. You can see an immature flower from the same plant in the background, already a deep colour. Let's hope it gives me lots of seeds!

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed. They are outstandingly pretty. Give us all a few years and we will have all the colours of sweet peas in edible peas and all possible pod colours and plant shapes to boot. Just hope this one will repeat. And that you will have lots of seeds. Any sign of the pods yet?

Yeah, fingers crossed that it's a recessive gene (or a few recessive genes in combination) which would be easy to stabilise.

The first flower has faded now and looks so dark it's almost black. I'll have a quick look to see what the baby pod looks like - the green calyx says the pods will also be green.

Comment

I'm toying with the idea of calling this one Margaret which is my mother's name, and is kind of similar to the word magenta.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            That's great and follows a bit of a tradition - I named the pink flowered mangetout after my mother Elisabeth and Jayb named her cross after her mother Sugar-Beth!

• Silverleaf
            Silverleaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yes, of course, I forgot that. It's a lovely tradition.

I'd like to name something after my grandmother, but her name was June and that would be rather confusing for a plant I think!

I said the faded flower was dark, right?

Comment

That's practically purple!

Comment

Wow just catching up progress, these are super stunning

Comment

Three little pods have formed now.

Comment

Way to go

Comment

Thought I'd show you a dp "muddy" flower. This one's a bit past its best but you can clearly see the difference from wild type. I can't tell that the pods are any darker (dp means "dark pod") but I'm pretty sure it's dp making the flowers that colour.

It's not pretty like the magenta, but it's interesting all the same.

Comment

Comment

• Galina
                        Galina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Not as showy as magenta.

• Silverleaf
                        Silverleaf commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No, definitely not. I like it for its own sake but I wouldn't include it in a "pretty flowers" pea mix. Looks like whoever painted it forgot to clean their brush properly!

Found a second plant that has a very similar magenta colour - not quite so intense, but pretty close!

Comment

And a third - magenta with yellow pods! This one seems to have the same flower shape as Golden Sweet that doesn't open fully.

No actual pods yet, but looking forward to seeing if the yellow colour is any different to the usual.

I'm going to keep this as a separate line, so I need another name. I do like the idea of naming them after family members, and I was thinking about my paternal grandmother. Her name was Hannah Ellen, but she was always called Nellie. (I'm named after her but my parents decided to drop the Hs and go for Anna instead.)

Comment

Magenta looks absolutely gorgeous when it starts going blue. It's hard to get good photos of it but the blue colour is really striking.

Comment

• Galina
                            Galina commented
                            Editing a comment
                            And also the dark spots at the base of the standards. I have seen green ones in white flowered peas, but these are something else. Very pretty flowers.

• Silverleaf
                            Silverleaf commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think that might be the shadow of the calyx, with the light shining through the standard.
                        Working...
                        X