Courgette Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgette Cross

Looks like my round asian courgettes have got crossed with the zephyr courgette I grew last year.

This is a how to save pure courgette seeds - scroll about 2/3 down the page
    http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html
    At the bottom of the page a short pictorial guide:
    http://www.realseeds.co.uk/courgettes.html

Comment

I like the look of this courgette, I haven't tasted it yet, but if it taste good I will keep the seeds from this for future use.

Comment

Clumsy,

what you have this year is an F1 courgette (first filial generation). If you cross F1s strictly with themselves only, the next generation (the F2 or second filial generation after a cross) will show a myriad of shapes, colours and flavours. From the F2 you can select varieties to go forward. If you want to go for a definitive type or shape, you must save pure seeds and select in the F2 generation, then continue saving pure seeds and selecting for a few more generations until you have a stable new variety. It may be that you have a type in your F2 selection that is similar to the type you like, but that might not happen.

We can't know what the pollen was that pollinated these courgettes in the picture unless you isolated and hand pollinated them. If they got crossed last year, and you did not save pure seed this year, then most likely we have by now a third variety in the mix, because of the unknown pollen that pollinated these. What I am trying to say, is that you are unlikely to get what you want by letting bees do the pollinating. Bees gather pollen from a long way off and in an allotment situation, there could be dozens of different varieties in a single pollen collection. Each individual fruit will possibly have been pollinated by different pollen. What you will get next year is a gamble.

Unfortunately all squash and courgettes are outbreeders. They cross with any other member of the same family but can also be pollinated by themselves. If seedsavers want to have the same variety again, we need to go through the steps of isolating the female flower (to prevent bee access) and then we need to handpollinate with pollen from a male flower (which has also been isolated). We do the isolating by preventing the flowers from opening. If the flowers cannot open, bees cannot fly in. Then we handpollinate our female flower with the pollen grains from our male flower. Then we isolate the female flower again (close it with tape or string or rubber band etc). This is done so that no bees have access and contaminate our hand pollinated flower with pollen from another variety.

Comment

Thank you great information. I was thinking of pollinating one by hand.

Comment

Working...
          X