When we are crossing two varieties, we use the pollen from one (the Daddy plant) on the stigma (the female bits) of another plant.

I am getting confused about what to call them. I thought it was female x male (the x meaning 'has been crossed with'), but certainly on the facebook 'Kenosha' potato pages they use male x female. I am sure I must have got it wrong quite a lot on this forum - and it does seem to matter. Certainly matters in potatoes where a lot of male pollen is sterile but the female parts of a flower set berries well with fertile pollen from another variety. If it is described the wrong way round, then a reader could assume that a certain variety's pollen is fertile when it actually isn't. With potatoes crosses will only work one way if male pollen is infertile. Doesn't matter with peas of course. Although there are advantages for doing the cross a certain way here too. For example crossing a yellow female pea with male pollen from a a green pea. The F1 should be green (all the dominant genes are expressed in the F1 and yellow pod colour is a recessive). If the F1 is yellow, we can assume that something has not worked out with the cross - a simple check but it only works if the yellow podded pea was the mother variety.

What is the convention please? Daddy x Mummy or Mummy x Daddy? Or is there no agreement on this.