Pea Genes database has a new url

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea Genes database has a new url

With Mike Ambrose's retirement there have been changes and I could not find the gene database. Luckily Keen101 from the Homegrown Goodness forum has found its new location. Thank you.

Here it is: http://data.jic.ac.uk/pgene/
    Last edited by Galina; 17-08-2018, 05:44.

Brilliant, thanks for sharing the link, and thank you Keen101 for posting it too.

I think I've almost forgotten how to use the database, I'll have to get back in the swing of it!

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      And you will I doubt you have forgotten the basics anyway..

I hope I haven't, though I'm feeling decidedly rusty!
    When I went to the database and read linkage group, I thought of Silverleaf, she was so helpful and I loved and her posts. A shame she's not here anymore.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      She may well pop by. Have been in contact recently. She is now fortunately getting to the south side of some health issues. I hope she will say Hi soon.

I'm very sorry to hear this, please, next time you chat, send her my very best for a continued and speedy recovery.
    That would be lovely, I do hope she will when she is ready

Comment

I'm so sorry I've been away so long, but hopefully I can grow a few more peas this year. I've missed you all!

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        And we have missed you here. Welcome back Silverleaf.

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        I know I'm months out but great to see you back and hope you have a lovely pea year.

Good morning, Silverleaf.
      I’m more recently on GFSS but have valued its discussions enormously and have come across your breeding work and knowledge frequently. I’m so pleased you’re feeling better and looking forward to growing some peas again. I look forward to hearing about it.
      Have you got any particular peas in mind yet?

Comment

Hi Jang, lovely to meet you!

I’m literally sorting out peas just now, I’d forgotten how much breeding work I’ve done... I’ll be growing out some F4s and F3s which are part of my rainbow pea project. Hopefully we’ll see violet, magenta, green, cerise and crimson flowers out of those.

I have Golden Sweet x Purple Podded F4s - some were from red snap pods (yay) but there are some purples and semi purples which might throw reds and semi reds.

Also Golden Sweet x Sugar Ann F4s will hopefully give me some yellow snaps.

And I’ll pop in a bunch of interesting flower colours for crosses so I can combine some genes to get colours I know exist but haven’t seen yet. Pale lilac, light mauve, dark pink, antique rose / salmon, light rose, and pale rose purple.

Might also do Golden Sweet x Sugar Magnolia for a red snap, because why not?

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I missed your post until now. Yes, rather hooked on the range of possibilities.

Kind of you to offer other possible colours and difficult to resist! Do you have any particular suggestions for an interesting colour or two to introduce into the gene mix? I'm growing a couple of different salmon-flowered varieties this next season and have Beacon, Scholar and Elisabeth to grow on and experiment with. But any suggestions would be eagerly received!

• Silverleaf
          Silverleaf commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll have a look through my stash tomorrow, but off the top of my head I probably have:
          Nightmist - green flowers (gf)
          Haka - violet flowers (ar)
          Unity - crimson flowers (cr)
          Argent Adept - central part of standard darker (ceo)

PM me your address and I’ll see what I can do.

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. That's amazingly great!
          PM on its way.

Oh and I’ll have another try at hybridising Pisum fulvum with P. sativum, if I feel brave.

Comment

• Silverleaf
          Silverleaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Galina! I've got P. elatius and P. abyssinicum ordered from JIC. The second one is mostly out of curiosity to be honest, I don't know much about either species.

That gives me 4 Pisum species to play around with.

Sowed 10 P. fulvum seeds the other day and I'll make successional sowings to increase the chances of getting appropriately mature buds at the same time for crossing. Plus I'm looking forward to seeing the orangey flowers again!

• Silverleaf
          Silverleaf commented
          Editing a comment
          P. fulvum germinated quickly and is now looking very tiny in the experimental pea bed. Tiny but strong!

Sowed P. elatius and P. abyssinicum yesterday. Will be fun to see what they look like! P elatius has very kind of “gritty” seeds like the testa is made of sandpaper!

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          These types of pea are entirely unknown to us, apart from the beautiful fulvum flowers you photographed and showed us. Very interested in how they grow and what they look like. Very best of luck with them. Good start.

Silverleaf! It's so lovely to see you active here again. Your posts & breeding experiments have been a great source of inspiration and knowledge. Welcome back & good luck with your rainbow peas.

Comment

• Silverleaf
          Silverleaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi triffid, I see I have a lot to catch up on! You’ve all been busy.

In addition to the pea genes database above, Triffid has signposted us to this gem of a gene collection with a lot of photos. Thank you.

https://pw.ihar.edu.pl/wp-content/up...2019_small.pdf

Comment

Working...
        X