Pea Seed Colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea Seed Colour

I didn't want to mess up Galina's Elisabeth x Kent Blue seeds thread by posting this picture there, but thought the seed colours might be of interest as overall they may give an indication of colour, though I doubt I could have sorted them into probable colour types from the mixed batch with accuracy. And that's assuming there is an indication of seed colour taking into account and these are still dividing into types? Pictured are F3 Crown type pea seeds I saved last year and had sorted them roughly in flower colour

I enlarged the page view to see the seeds better and it does look like the same that I noticed with the Elisabeth x Kent Blue cross. There are brown seeds in every batch. I can see purple speckles only in the purple flowered batch. The pink flowered batch shows sandy seeds with brown or brown seeds. As pink is recessive, (and if I have learned this right), once a segregated pea expresses the recessive, it is not going to show the dominant feature again. Once a pea flowers pink, its offspring should not be purple flowered (which is why 'something odd' did happen to the 'odd' or 'off-type/rogue' Elisabeth that flowered purple - or a mix-up of some sort. The purple flowered batch however could still segregate for pink.

I wonder though what sets the brown seeds apart, that exist in all batches?

Comment

One thing I'm noticing with some of the pink flowers, is there colours are quite varied and some almost have some of the purple traits about them too?

I think we may not get to the bottom of purple Elisabeth although I'd like to. Perhaps even a pesky mouse lost his dinner for me to find!

I wonder though what sets the brown seeds apart, that exist in all batches?
      It's interesting and I don't know the answer. I wonder if it might be part of segregation and as they stabilise it might become clearer?

Comment

Working...
      X