Intruders amongst peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intruders amongst peas

In amongst some Taichung 11 pea seedlings, I have two visitors. Because of their positions I’m thinking they might have come from pea-like seeds. On the other hand I might have topped up with some used compost.
    They look familiar to me but I’m struggling to remember what they might be. I’d welcome any help with identification.

The photo shows one of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	18F20A3F-BBE4-4932-8BC4-FEE4D8BC07CC.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	606.6 KB
ID:	13762

Looks like a grass or a cereal. Interesting. Bet they germinated as monocots, rather than having two seedleaves. Similar seeds could be cereals.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m afraid I wasn’t observing at the cotyledon stage. Not quite grass-like in a wheat, barley etc kind of way.
      I think I’ll have to extract them and grow them on.

I’ve come to the conclusion that my intruders are some kind of Lathyrus. There are at least two species which have the same pairs of leaves. It’s also now clearer that tendrils are developing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A1171F26-215E-453B-BC21-55B66145250E.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	13772 Click image for larger version

Name:	8960F339-9571-4AB3-8AF8-CD26ACBE2389.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	13774

It would also explain why the seeds were sufficiently pea-like to sneak in there undetected.
    Attached Files

Comment

Oooh pretty. Glad you found out. With the flowers so pea like, it is surprising how different the leaves are. What is their edibility, if any?

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh it's a sweet pea. Nice. Might even smell very nice.

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I don't know for sure which species of sweet pea it might be as I haven't looked through the whole range. But that one does fit the bill. It is apparently edible in small quantities and was/is enjoyed in the area around Milan. As the seed came from Italy, that all makes some sense. I can't find any reference to scent though.
        (The plant is harvested from the wild for local use as a food. It has occasionally been cultivated in southern Europe for the edible seed. The plant is sometimes grown to stabilize and restore soils. The plant is sometimes a weed of cultivated crops and along the edges of fields).

It will be interesting to wait and see whether they have red flowers, if indeed I can coax them that far.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        And of course we also wish you good luck with the Taichung pea.
    Working...
    X