Bip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bip

Happy to have some of these types again, here's the thread when I first came across them https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.c...-bi-colour-pea

It has been a few years and I'd forgotten about this so I was interesting to note I had written
    these are an F2 variety and there are 4 possibly 6 plants with this trait out of at a guess 20-30 plants,
    Does anyone know if that fits in with recessive inheritance? It seems quite high and I didn't have as many in ratio this time around.

A couple of things I've noticed,
    Some of the plants bip pattern doesn't conform to the straight line description given for gene bip. Rather than being in a straight line they are more jagged.
    Not all flowers on the same plant are bip marked.
    The lighter coloured part of the bip area changes colour as the standard does either fading or intensifying with age.

I'll pop some pictures on later.

6 and 18 would be a classic Mendellian relationship, with 6 recessives and 18 dominant. But you have too few plants to be statistically really significant. So the fact that these numbers are not exactly right and match the 1/4 and 3/4 recessive and dominant does not mean that there is a problem with your theory. That not all flowers on the same plant are bip is more confusing. You can really only say when this trait is stable next time. Even though stable may still mean that not all flowers on one plant have it. Looking forward to photos.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      It is weird how only some flowers exhibit the markings, I have a feeling it is just the way things are as it is apparent on multiple plants.
      I know different but perhaps also some similarity, variegated tomato plants are variable in their expression of amount of colouration, also cooler growing temperatures produce stronger variegation contrast.

This morning when I woke up I found myself wondering if white flowers also display bip although it wouldn't be visible. How do the potential unseen white bip feed into the numbers? I appreciate 30 plants is a low number to give a clear picture, I'm just trying to get a grasp.
    F2 gen 1/4 white = 1/4 of these unseen bip. Is this right or am I over simplifying or complicating it.

I've seen that in this latest grow out the ratio of bip has either been partly unnoticed or lower in number, hard to say the approx ratio as I don't know how many plants are growing or how many I've tagged as bip (plants are thickly planted and grow on so quickly tags get hidden in no time). Plus there are a mix of types and not only a F2 population.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right. With white flowers bip would be unseen and that would push up your bip count to a near Mendellian ration nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4471a.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	14901

Name:	IMG_4521 (2)a.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	14902

Name:	IMG_4670 (3)a.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	14903

Name:	IMG_4557a.JPG
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	14904

Comment

Name:	IMG_4364a.JPG
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	14906

Name:	IMG_4698a.JPG
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	14907

Name:	IMG_4736a.JPG
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	14908

Name:	IMG_4502a.JPG
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	14909

Comment

And some more

Name:	IMG_4756a.JPG
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	14912

Name:	IMG_4706 (2)a.JPG
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	14913

Name:	IMG_4754a.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	14914

Name:	IMG_4764a.JPG
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	14915

Comment

Like how this one has the same fade bip as the standard.

Name:	IMG_4838 (2)a.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	14921

This I think is a grow out of Boogie x a purple crown, I love the pattern colour combo.

Name:	IMG_4704 (2)a.JPG
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	14922

Comment

Working...
          X