X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean Genes - phaseolus vulgaris - French Bean

Here is a list of genes pertaining to the French Bean, ph vulgaris:
    http://beangenes.cws.ndsu.nodak.edu/genes/genlist3.htm

Good one, I don't think I had that bookmarked.

This might be of interest http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/93/2/148.full

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you looks interesting

Great stuff, I haven't looked into bean genes much myself so that's very interesting. Will have to do some studying!

I've been harvesting Poletschka for seed and I'm pretty sure I have an accidental cross. I know all the seeds I sowed earlier in the year looked exactly alike (black, round and shiny) but one of the plants showed some antho and the few pods it produced had purple mottling over the usual green. When I harvested the one surviving pod after drought and slug attack, the seeds were not the shape I was expecting either - black; but bigger and less round, with an almost trapezoidal shape and not really shiny at all. Should be fun to grow out those three seeds and see what happens!

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      A good find, yes grow them, I love chocolate box surprises! Looking forward already to their progress. Were they your saved seed?

I got them originally from a blogger (who also sent me Purple Podded peas) who got them from the HSL. I grew them out and saved the seed but I can't remember if I grew them again or if I saved the next generation. It's definitely not the same generation I got from her, because I planted every single one she sent.

Either way, if a cross has happened I'm pretty sure it'll have been in my garden so I could narrow down the possible pollen donor. I definitely grew Cherokee Trail of Tears, Cosse Violette, Blue Coco, Kew Blue and Lingua di Fuoco, and I have a bag of seeds I obviously saved from that same year but failed to label, which looked exactly like Cosse Violette as seed, but when I grew them this year the pods are smoother and not as dark, heavily mottled rather than fully dark purple.

Based on the shape of the "crossed" seeds and the colour of the pods, I'd suspect the unlabelled bean. I doubt CtoT because its seeds are a lot smaller and its pods are round rather than flat.

The potential cross is group of three duller beans front left. Poletschka are the round purple-black ones, and I've included a few of the mystery beans at the back (which haven't developed their full tan colour yet).

Comment

Looks very much like a cross to me, especially with the little speckledy bits. It does sound like you sowed an F1 seed this season, fun for next year

Comment

Yeah, I like not knowing what's going to happen!

Comment

I agree that this looks like a cross. Looking at the F2 variants will give a good idea what the pollen father might have been. It is very interesting to follow a cross. Unfortunately my best Infra bean traits (from a cross between Indiana Banana and Berner Landfrauen in-fre ) haven't come back in the F3. Like one type that had such pale green pods, they could have been called 'white'. But the new colours are tremendous fun and interesting.

Comment

Very cool! I think the pollen parent has to have some antho in the pods, but it looks like I need to study the genetics stuff to get a better idea of how to narrow it down.

Comment

Came across this today http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/.../1/57.full.pdf

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                Trying to match the picture on page 58 with the bean pictures in the Manchedda post. It is really neither 'Expansa' nor 'Ambigua'. Especially with Manchedda the border lines between the white and the yellow are so sharp, ditto with George's (which has the red striping in addition to the yellow fleck).

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, it's not quite either, it's almost a dipped in paint colour difference rather than a pattern?

Munachedda Pale by jayb 35, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X