Mixed peas in the pod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed peas in the pod

These were fun to open, from white flowering (Boogie x (Salmon Flowered x Alderman/Doug Bray of Grimsby F2) F1)

Click image for larger version

Name:	085.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2273

Name:	089.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2272
    Last edited by jayb; 29-04-2015, 14:57.

My Magnum Bonum and some other varieties are both green and beige seeded. And they are (or at least supposed to be) pure breeding. Have always wondered about that.

Comment

Telephone is like that too, with both yellow and green seeds. I think that the breeders back then didn't care about some traits they thought unimportant. If the pea population was tall and tasted good and and looked superficially uniform, they didn't bother trying to breed for other traits.

The Telephones I have vary in pod shape too, with some blunt pods and some pointed. Many of these old varieties seem to be more like landraces than the identical populations of modern varieties, and a good thing too!

Comment

Lol, I just think it is bizarre to have different coloured peas and types in one pod
        Here's some more of the same cross, though I'm not sure where the dark coloured ones are from.

mixed peas in the pod by jayb 35, on Flickr

Comment

3 or 4 different genes expressing here.
          Dark purple seeds crop up occasionally, then revert. Lower right, wrinkled and smooth in the one pod, has to do with starch synthesis i think. Lower left, blocky seeds, also known as the crowder trait in US. crossing a variety to F2 likely to get all sorts of stuff mixing up.

Comment

Name:	cegxshirazf1greenerpods4differentseeds.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	2528

Dark purple seeds revert? This has been my experience too. They are very pretty to look at though so I will always try to separate them. A few brown seeds and a few bicolour seeds too.

Don't understand the genes that dictate pea seed colours. Certainly stable varieties have different seeds. Schweizer Riesen has 3 different colours and so does Court Estate Gold, which was bred from Schweizer Riesen. I had some lovely seed colours in the F2 seeds from CEG x Shiraz too.

I had mixed seed colours in the same pods too, more so early in the season.

Name:	cegxshirazf2seedsgreenerpodssomepurpleseeds.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2529
            Last edited by Galina; 15-05-2015, 10:10.

Comment

Yes the cross is a bit of a crash, I had an idea that seemed good at the time.
              I'm not sure the ones I've got in the picture are purple reverse peas, or I didn't think it when I podded them? I'll go take another look.

Blocky - crowder - crowded? I probably shouldn't admit but I just thought they were varieties being named after someone!
              Last edited by jayb; 15-05-2015, 23:02.

Comment

the crowder bit i got from someone on the east coast of US - I thought it was a name, too. Wikipedia says its an alternate name for cow pea, so dunno.
                Here's a pic of my mixed reject coloured snap pea growout seed - lots of everything.
                Last edited by templeton; 16-05-2015, 00:52.

Comment

They look smashing, a little bit of everything in there, I can't believe they are your reject pile!

Comment

Just shelled a nice mixed pod. I had been growing all sorts of CEGs this year and also sorted them by seed colour. This one from a green seed with light purple speckling. And it contained 3 seeds, all different.

Comment

It's amazing how they do that, you would think it would be one thing or the other, not a mixed selection box! I'm not complaining mind, its lovely to see diversity!

Comment

• Galina
                        Galina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes indeed, especially the one mixed seed. Develops as one type, then something happens during seed formation and it ends up as another type halfway through. I have read that the pea Purple Passion always has purple seeds, but these purples will not stay purple from experience. Guess it is the pea equivalent to inversed bean seeds, which also grow normal again the following grow-out. You'd think that one pod had the same growing conditions for all of its seeds. This was a pretty late pod, shorter than most and with fewer seeds. Still a joy to marvel over
                    Working...
                    X