X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a beauty
    Looks very much like a cross to me, an interesting one to follow

Comment

If I could be bothered I'd isolate it so it self-pollinates and then see what the ratio of colours is in the next generation - if I'm right about incomplete dominance then there would be about 1/4 crimson, 1/2 pink, and 1/4 white (or white/black).

The flowers have been open a few days though and the bees have been doing their work well, so I'm just going to enjoy it I think.

Comment

what is the difference between incomplete dominance and co dominance?

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
          what is the difference between incomplete dominance and co dominance?
          Incomplete dominance is when the heterozygote shows a phenotype mid-way between that of the two parents, for example a white snapdragon crossed with a red snapdragon will produce all pink flowers in the F1. It's kind of like the two alleles reach a compromise about what colour the flower should be - in fact if the heterozygous phenotype is an exact blend of the parental types you could say there is no dominance at all, because neither allele "wins".

Co-dominance is where both of the alleles get to be expressed at the same time in the heterozygote. The best example of this is in the ABO blood type system in humans, where A people have Antibody-B in their blood, B people have Anti-A, AB people have both Anti-A and Anti-B. Both alleles "win".
          Last edited by Silverleaf; 07-06-2016, 21:32.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks for the explanation, Silverleaf

• Silverleaf
            Silverleaf commented
            Editing a comment
            No problem, hope it helped!

Thanks Silverleaf, nice explanation

Comment

Sorry to bump this thread, been away for while. All those flower colours look great. My Crimsons are already flowering here, but I doubt they are setting pods yet. I've planted a whole heap of mixed up seed in a mass cross bed, and an isolated patch - well, 30 feet away - of crimsons hoping they might stay pure, mostly.

Comment

It will be interesting to see whether you get any crossing at ten metres away. lt is the equivalent of mid-January for us and there would not be much by way of insect life for us. I grew extra early broad beans tucked away in the greenhouse. There are field beans sown in autumn which are in fields 100m and a tall hedge away and I hope mine are pure. I was pleased that they pollinated very well, because of lack of insects (I jiggled them though to help). When I had another variety of broad bean under an insect proof cover, I got not very good pollination. Will be interested in your results Templeton.

Comment

Working...
              X