Pea Information - morphological characteristics and associated genes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea Information - morphological characteristics and associated genes

Here is a selection of characteristics of different pea varieties and which genes are implicated in these characteristics from the John Innes Institute. There is also a column of seed cultivars in their seed collection that display these particular characteristic.

https://www.jic.ac.uk/germplasm/grow...brary-peas.htm

Excellent link, it's an amazing amount of different characteristics. When I was little we grew white flowered short peas for shelling, not till much later did I realise there was an array of colours and sorts!

Comment

Very true - I was very intrigued by the orange podded peas. It would be great if at one stage they did a photo gallery of all these characteristics. Couldn't find 'snap pod' though? Perhaps overlooked it.

Comment

I missed the orange podded pea, it sounds wicked!
        I think it is a modified n, but will have to go and look cos memory is a little fuzzy about that.

Comment

Originally posted by jayb View Post
          Excellent link, it's an amazing amount of different characteristics. When I was little we grew white flowered short peas for shelling, not till much later did I realise there was an array of colours and sorts!
          Well we didn't grow any when I was little. It was only much later when my mother discovered seeds of the Swiss mangetouts she knew from her childhood on a shopping trip to Zurich, that we both started growing them. It is difficult to remember now but Weggiser was probably the first pea I grew, followed by several of the tall peas in the Heritage Seed Library collection. I had Magnum Bonum from their 1994 seed library catalogue, a variety that is always great here.
          Last edited by Galina; 31-07-2014, 09:44.

Comment

Yeah, snap pod is n, combined with p and v for edible pods.

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Silverleaf.

It took me a while searching through JIC site to find bip gene, but if I'd checked this page first it would have shown me straight away Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by jayb View Post
              It took me a while searching through JIC site to find bip gene, but if I'd checked this page first it would have shown me straight away Doh!

Yes, however I would have never found it, as if only says bip = bicolour. And since all pea flowers are, I assumed that this one must apply to all. The description does not say 'wings bicoloured'. Sometimes the JIC site is so difficult to 'grasp'. i am glad you spotted the bip gene that was there, well hidden in plain sight as far as my eyes were concerned .

Comment

Working...
              X