Walking/tree onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking/tree onions

I am amazed at how vigorous and productive walking onions are. But I have also been enjoying the weird and wonderfully diverse shapes formed by their too-setting habit. I acquired some named varieties from an eBay seller and have found each variety quite distinctive so thought I would share some photos.

I haven’t been able to find any history for these specifically named forms and would love to know more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E57980AC-26DD-4885-A484-BA72A2478F18.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	14377 Click image for larger version

Name:	7C53A72D-2AB2-47F4-B00E-397C20C270BB.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	523.8 KB
ID:	14376 Click image for larger version

Name:	635C1061-00CD-49E8-8424-AE607F09F351.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	670.8 KB
ID:	14378 Click image for larger version

Name:	8DB8DCC2-C4D4-4047-AF1A-6C3ACA501307.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	659.2 KB
ID:	14379

Fab pictures and great to see the different varieties all grown in similar conditions for comparison. I'm afraid I can't help with history.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I have temporarily forgotten what allium was supposed to have crossed with what other type to produce these. But can well believe if different shallots or onions were involved, you would get different type of top set onions. Then just named after the person or place where they came from. The tops are just so good in a salad for a big flavour bite. I find these really good as they 'shallot' quite readily too. So multiply at the base for quite good sized onions, then enjoy the tops or replant, such a good plant.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Allium x proliferum seems to be a cross between common bulbing onion and Welsh onion (Allium cepa x Allium fistulosum)
      It’s difficult to imagine though how that cross managed to produce such a strong top setting habit.

I haven’t eaten any part so far but clearly there will be plenty to spare now I know they’ve established.
Working...
X