California Early Softneck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Early Softneck

I have never seen anything like it and hope it is not some disease. There are several perfectly normal plants in the garden too, but what on earth is this? The stem is very thick, inch plus, and more and more extra leaves are sprouting. Just in case it is something else entirely, I tasted and the leaves do taste like garlic, no doubt about it. Any group ideas please? It was grown from a single bulb last autumn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	early californian cluster.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.3 KB ID:	14463
    Last edited by Galina; 01-07-2021, 14:15.

The yellow striping could be virus or rust developing, but what about that massive growth? The young leaves are all bright green, no yellowing.

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      I would say the new garlic bulbs are starting to grow again. It stayed in the ground too long should have been harvested earlier. if harvest it peel back I would say the individual bulbs will have a long green stems growing.

Could it be the inflorescense that has burst through the side of the main stem?

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you both. It isn't mature enough for the bulbs having sprouted again from the ground, I think. Yes this is what softneck garlics can do, with stuck bulbils. Have the flowers and bulbils stuck in the neck? Maybe these were in the neck and sprouted, Then this would be like a fasciated plant. The stem is thick from the ground up like a good fat leek, rather than there being any obvious neck bulbils. It doesn't look ready to harvest yet. I wonder what is going on underground. As long as it isn't a disease.
      Last edited by Galina; 02-07-2021, 06:12.

That would have been my guess too, bulbils stuck in the neck and sprouting. But looking again the leaf size of the ones that look to be 'sprouting out' look large leaves rather than sprouts from a bulbil?
    It does look weird!
    Are the other normal garlic in the garden the same variety?

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      "It was grown from a single bulb last autumn" Perhaps as it is grown from one bulb, it might have had another almost separate clove within, which has been growing and now pushing out. Harvest or firkle one to see the state of play.

Interesting you mention the weather clumsy and seeing this before, it has been a topsy turn year.

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      The cloves have sprouted and growing. I've seen it before when you peel the main stem (the stem at the time was still very much green) all the way down the cloves would have new growth started. I noted it down because the garlic I brought at the time was from a seed company it did the same thing only like 2 plants in total I thought it was due to new variety to my soil and location never seen it on my own kept garlic that I would replant every year. The garlic is still edible you can also use the fresh green shoots.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed as fresh, 'green' garlic it will be sufficient for several dinners. More that I would expect to get from cloves.

This isn’t as unusual by a long chalk but I’m intrigued by the way the one leaf from the offset clove/bulb is growing inside the stem of the main bulb. I suppose the other leaves have been released as outer skins have withered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8CD2D46E-707C-4D7A-8A5E-6095FA2C8BEF.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	14495

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      The difference with yours is the offset clove. The one's I had was all cloves on main garlic plant had started to grow there wasn't any offset clove or any extra cloves if that makes sense. they grew from the inside like one of your leaves in the picture. I think galina would be the same as my experience could be wrong.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I will let you know what I find when I did them up. This is certainly a new one on me. I know about stuck neck bulbils and about a secondary garlic by the side of the main bulb, but this apparently fasciated plant was a new one. However your secondary bulb with greens inside the main stem Jang is a close match. Even though they would have needed to get into the main stem right at the base of the plant as there is no such entry point and no neck swelling, the neck is thick throughout, like a fat leek.
      Last edited by Galina; 04-07-2021, 09:46.

You are both right it seems. 3 Garlics harvested, one normal and normal size, one undersized, but with bulbils stuck in its neck and also an extra bulb attached with leaves growing back into the main stem. Finally the big garlic. This is unusual as it does have these side bulbs and it is their leaves that are poking out through the big stem. However they are not attached on the outside and clearly separate, they are enclosed in the outer skin of the garlic, as if they were actually part of the bulb. Still unusual, but just a variation on the theme of extra bulbs with their own extra foliage growing back into the main plant.

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      It's not unusual it happens. I've seen it many times if you think about it the way the garlic grows when the bulbs re grow like this, the new growth will be from the inside of the stem. Without a photo of mine I couldn't explain it better it's difficult to tell people. I put it down to the weather early spring it's warm then few weeks later wet and cold I would say it confuses the plant.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes that described the weather very well this spring. It is no wonder that plants react to it. Thank you.
Working...
X