Telsing Andrews perennial leek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telsing Andrews perennial leek

I started the Telsing Andrews leek, billed as a grex by Permaseminka, from seed in March last year. I'm extremely impressed by its vigour. I have a stand of mixed size leeks, two or three of which are fatter than any annual leeks I've ever grown. Photos don't really do them justice but I've attached three, one from August last year and the other two from yesterday. The leek in the foreground is very large, maybe two inches diameter
    It has begun to get the purplish tinge at the tips of the leaves which St Victor has, which I've also been growing for comparison.

I wondered whether others growing it have found the same.

I'm not sure now whether to harvest the biggest ones and spread the others out or whether to leave some big ones to see what multiplying they're capable of. Any experiences of longer-term managing would also be helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).png
Views:	37
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	16481 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7954.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	16478 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7955.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	16479
    Attached Files

Very impressive. Are the smaller leeks daughters of the large ones or from multisown clumps?

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Jan, congratulations on the multipliers. Great news.

This is what happened here. I ended up with 13 plants from the seeds. They flowered and produced seeds. None divided.

I sowed my seeds produced here to start again and also ordered another batch from Marek, which has just germinated. I now have about 25 grass like plants, but as they are germinating rather unevenly, there may well more to come.

After flowering last year all but 2 leeks perished without a trace. I left the dry stems and could still follow down to check on bulbs. I have dug the bed over carefully looking for bulbs in the ground and replanted the 2 I found in a prime position for observation this year. Unfortunately I don't expect that the seeds from those plants that died off after making seeds will be of the perennial and multiplying type, but who knows. It has also become more obvious that leeks generally do not do very well here. In fact Marek's leeks from Telsing did the best of all. But I did not harvest them to eat and just let them flower. One of the bigger plants had blueish tips, the others were green.

Hoping that the two bulbs that made it are of the multiplying type. They are now putting on new greens. Secondly hoping that Marek's second lot of seeds bought earlier this year will yield multipliers and thirdly, against expectations really, that my own seeds will produce multipliers. We will see.

I tried to find info in Telsing Andrew's blog about how she bred them. Have not spent a very long time on it so far and in any case I haven't found any further information about them.

The seeds from my own plants germinated faster and more evenly, all about the same size at the same time. Marek's seeds germinate more erratically, by which I mean, some are tiny, others are coming up well. As I currently have both pots side by side in the builder's box on the balcony and back in at night, I can readily compare.
      Last edited by Galina; 10-04-2022, 14:27.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Interestingly different from my experience. Germination for me was good and seedlings thrived, though once planted out, bulked up at different speeds.

Was your first batch sown a year ahead of mine, ie. in 2020? And flowered in the second year? I’m interested to see when mine flower. So far they’re not showing any sign of bolting in spite of the fact that a lot of my annual leeks are beginning to. That would be a useful habit for the kitchen as they’re of special value right now. The fattest one has been cooked and eaten and was beautifully sweet and tender.

Some of the differences can be accounted for by local conditions but perhaps not all. Perhaps I was lucky in the batch of seed I received. I’ll be very happy to pass on divides to anyone interested at whatever the right time might be.

It would be interesting to know more about her breeding. Certainly St Victor as one parent makes sense as, for me, the colouring of both is distinctively similar. But I don’t know what the perennial, dividing parent might have been.

I hope some, or indeed all, of those hopes bear fruit. Were your seed heads isolated or might they have crossed? I assume that as Marek sells them as a grex he, and presumably TA, expect quite a lot of diversity but that they will be basically perennial and dividing. It would be interesting to know how much variation they have experienced.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe Oerprei was the other parent, a multiplying leek. Yes they flowered the second year. To my grief one of the two remaining ones has just vanished without a trace. Looked around to see whether it has been pulled by a bird and left by the side of the bed, but no. Now only one left. But I have not yet planted those seedlings from the new batch. I would not know what they crossed with other than themselves as the neighbours don't grow leeks and the other neighbours are quite a long way away if they grow any veg. So yes, there is still hope but it does need adjusting to here where conditions are not very suited for alliums. Garlics started strong, but currently not looking brilliant either. Before I can really tell what they are like, I have to learn how to grow them first. Never had problems with leeks in Rushden, but we will get there, I hope.

Sorry to hear about your disappeared leek.
    Have you any idea what factors make alliums difficult for you? The degrees of winter cold?

Comment

Working...
    X