No announcement yet.

Giant Shallots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a warning on A4A about unusually wet weather resulting in more than normal onion white rot, it suddenly occurred to me how stupid I've been. 'Harvested themselves'? really? I'm afraid not, there were the first signs on rot on the roots. Oh dear. Needless to say they are all dug up now and most were perfectly ok. I have the elongated usual shape, a rounder shape and the prize of this grow-out from seed, my white ones. These fortunately were absolutely fine and hope they will store well and not suddenly succumb to rot in storage.

Comment

My shallots starting to bloom never ever have seen this.Would they set seeds?

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes they will. Just harvest the shallots like normal and replant the ones with scapes and flower buds. They will flower and make seeds for you to sow next spring.

Originally posted by jayb View Post
      I think some of the smaller ones in their first growing year from seed may well perform differently when planted from set, or at least that is the view I'm taking at the moment.
      Liking your plan.
      Well it has worked out pretty much as planned. The largest that were replanted in late autumn had the most split-offs, the smaller ones fewer, the whites in pots that were only planted in spring are shown here. I thought I had a couple more, not sure where they got to, but the remaining bunch of 5 have reached a very healthy size (well one has stayed smaller) and the largest feels 'pregnant' with splitting imminent. These are easily big enough to plant out in autumn this year and I hope they will split into quite a few new ones for next year.

Just wanted to show you that it isn't a problem to have ended up with small bulbs, they will do something, just take a bit more time. Hope your small bulbs are also doing well Jayb and Silverleaf.
      Last edited by Galina; 06-07-2016, 16:53.

Comment

Now that they are all out of the ground, I was lucky not to have a lot of rot, None of my red shallots had any and none of the whites, the classic Red Breton (which are yellow) were the only ones affected and fortunately only 2 nests of them. Wonder whether this is coincidence or whether the colour of shallots matters.

Comment

I had a lovely little white bulb survive over winter, but unfortunately it got eaten by slimy little gits. :/

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Would you like another one?

• Silverleaf
            Silverleaf commented
            Editing a comment
            If you have any spare, I'd love one!

Just been sorting through them and still love their size. Really more like an onion than a shallot. This is the biggest yellow and biggest white bulb.

Comment

A bad year for alliums. But the Bretons from seed have been better than the others. The white Bretons clearly make winters just fine and the Red Bretons from seed have also been better than other shallots. Here a picture of the white shallots. The one on the right has 11 bulbs.

Comment

Working...
            X