No announcement yet.

Potato Onions from True Seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root trainers would be fine as galina advice. Seeds would probably be best start of new year. We have allium leaf miner do you get it in your area? So planting onion set we plant late say around may.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I haven't grown any for a few years as they were such a nuisance!

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      I've also cut down on how many onion plants to grow because them also white rot, it came with the onion sets the committee run shop didn't store them properly they were damp when I brought them.

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      We have leek moth at the allotment, according to my neighbour, but I don't know about Allium leaf miner. I'd better buy some mesh.

Originally posted by triffid View Post
    I'm elated to have just received my seed order from Mr. Winterton - SESE Landrace, Green Mountain, Dakota Landrace, Florida White and some perpetual leek seeds. I also have 3 brown-skinned potato onion bulbs from Poyntzfield Herbs, no variety name given. I'll plant these this month along with half of the TPOS; the other half I'll sow in the spring.
    This is all very exciting to me. I want nothing but the best for these dear baby onions. Are the standard Roottrainers a good place to start them, or too deep?
    Wonderful, I'll follow your progress with interest. I really enjoyed growing them.

Comment

Will be sowing TPOS this weekend. jayb are you still growing your potato onions?

Comment

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm afraid not, I had problems with Allium leaf miner and then I ended up skipping a year or more gardening/growing.

I’ve only just caught up with this thread.
      I also have a couple of potato onions from Poyntzfield Nursery which I received about a month ago. I’ve put them in pots in the greenhouse but they’ve shown no sign of life yet.
      I’m wondering whether this is normal. Are they late to start into growth?

Comment

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        I've just had a cautious poke around in the pots and they are beginning to put down roots so I think all will be well. Thanks

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad they are coming along.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Good sign.

The seedlings are coming along nicely, good germination. Can see a magenta tint on the tiny tips of some of the SESE landrace. So fingers crossed may end up with a few reds

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        encouraging

I've received seed of Green Mountain F2 and F3 from Australia today, from a company called Useful Seeds who received Green Mountain TPOS from Kelly Winterton in 2012 and have grown them and selected from them since then.
      I'm wondering whether it would be unwise to start a few off now and much more sensible to wait until after the new year. I'm itching to get them going but don't want to waste precious seed!

Comment

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your very helpful musing and setting out so clearly the various onion family patterns and possibilities.
        I think your wisdom must prevail and I’ll look forward to sowing this seed as a Boxing Day treat!
        I also received seed of a red onion, Mill Creek Red, which I’m looking forward to growing too. Boxing Day again perhaps.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Well strangely Mill Creek Red are described as intermediary day length variety. Neither the long daylength onions we usually grow, nor the short daylength Japanese types. This would indicate that it is either not sensitive in this case it could be treated like a Japanese onion or alternatively sown in spring, or it is not suited particularly well to either method. Will follow with interest.

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, Quail Seeds from whom perhaps Useful Seeds obtained the seeds originally as they seem to have rescued the variety
        (https://www.quailseeds.com/store/p30..._Onion_.html#/)
        say: “ A Stockton Red type. Does equally well planted either spring or fall. Intermediate day-length.”
        So I think I’ll try it both ways.

Now is about the time to start autumn-sown onions isn't it? I have some unopened Senshyu Yellow seed from last year and also ordered Mill Creek from Useful Seeds a few weeks ago - waiting with bated breath.
      The vast majority of the GM and SESE landrace seed direct from Kelly Winterton grew into red and pink onions (so that was F1 seed and these are F2 plants?). One is a white silverskin, it was damaged in harvest and I feared it wouldn't keep, so I replanted. It has grown a lot of roots but no shoot yet. Dakota landrace produced 100% yellow onions, which is surprising as he has a line named 'Dakota Red', so I expected some reds. But regardless I'm very pleased with the colours and shapes; some long, some globe, and a few are like flat top turbans. I planted thickly so the bulbs are tiny, the size of sets, and I'll be planting them in October if that's not too early.

Comment

Good to hear of your interesting results from the potato onion seed. I’ve just had another look at KW’s seed offering document and his note for Dakota Landrace is, ‘seeds throw off good white to yellow to brown skinned onions’ so I don’t know what part the Dakota Red has in the situation but at least you got roughly what he expected. Red, pink, yellow and white sounds a lovely range. Good luck with saving the white.

I tend to think of mid-August as the time to start over-wintering onions so it seems a bit late to me. I’ve tended to plant out in mid October. Perhaps If sowing in September it might be possible to keep the small seedlings in trays overwinter and plant out in the spring?
        I have Mill Creek from Useful Seeds too but was going to wait until January for sowing. The notes from Quail Seeds in US suggest that it does equally well from a spring or autumn planting. I’m wondering whether they include autumn sowing in that and use the terms sowing and planting interchangeably. https://www.quailseeds.com/store/p30..._Onion_.html#/

I had some very poor germination from Senshyu Yellow and reordered seed from a different company (GrowSeed) and resowed. Better results second time.

Comment

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah it may be a little late. But I'll keep them under cover in the tunnel or frame until spring, see what happens. I'm not sure whether the Mill Creek will get here in time. Was it a long wait for your parcel?
          I'd obviously completely forgotten the description of the Dakota Landrace - thanks for the reminder! They definitely fit.

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like I ordered on 1st June and received on 13th. So not too bad considering the distance. Hope yours arrive soon.

When did you sow your TPOS in the end? If you split the timing, was progress good both ways?

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          They arrived today fortunately. Winterton TPOS was all sown in March. But couldn't resist a packet of the Green Mountain F2/F3 seed; will sow a few now for comparison.
      Working...
      X