Red Thai Shallot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Thai Shallot

I planted a few Red Thai shallots about 3 years ago, they haven't done very well with me, I have two surviving bulbs. One is a split from the other but they look separate, more like a potato onion rather than two splits in the same wrapper. I haven't even harvested one to eat!

Move to Thailand?....

Comment

I wish

Comment

Well they do look more like shallots/onions than the earlier pictures. One flower head, a shame nothing else has a flower head open at the moment.

Red Thai Shallots
        Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	2855

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	2856

Comment

Could you snip the flowers off? In order to force the plant to produce 'pips', like leek pips. I have no idea whether it works, but as you haven't got another flower open, this might be an option to try at least.

Comment

Nice thinking, I will try.
            I usually snip before flowers open with leeks, these are already half open, do you think it will still work? Although I'm sure I read some of the pot leek growers shave the flower heads after they have set seed.

Comment

No luck producing pips, but both little shallots look nice and plump - maybe next year will be their one to shine!
              One day I may even eat one

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                I suppose they are thriving now when they were struggling earlier. Let's hope they will split enthusiastically next year. How will you overwinter them?

Lol, a nice thought but I'm not going to hold my breath.
              They survived in the greenhouse last year so possibly the same although it was a mild winter. I'll pot them up individually and leave them out there, then they can decided if and when they want to grow! If we get a cold snap I can cover them with fleece/bring them in the house for a bit - just have to remember them! Or perhaps they would be best planted in the spring?

Comment

I was looking at these today, they seem to have ripened well and are heavy for their size.

Name:	038-001.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	4140

Comment

Not the pale pink jobbies I tried to grow. These are very dark pink and look lush. Glad they are working out and quite possibly adjusting to different growing conditions. Definitely strong enough to withstand being stored over winter. If they flower next year and cross with your potato onions - pink hardy shallots could be on the horizon in just a couple of years. I love seeing potential

Comment

Crossing them with potato onion or pink shallots would be good, though they would really need to buck up to be worth growing. I'm not sure what colour the flesh is, I haven't dared cut into one!

Comment

My two little reds were recently potted up, not sure they liked being stored overwinter, they perhaps would have done better being planted. Anyhow here they are, the first does look to have split into two the second, I'm not so sure. I think they behave more as an onion than a shallot?

Name:	133.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	5614

Name:	134.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	5615

Comment

Working...