No announcement yet.

Greasy Beans from SMAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Brown Tobacco Worm just about showing it’s first flowers too, and like yours, ahead of the other two. Click image for larger version

Name:	1D2D6107-44AE-4BE5-8381-A5FC4BAEB850.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	13044

Comment

Brown Tobacco Worm is producing beans. After taking the photo I found a couple low down which were big enough to pick.

I believe it's OK as a snap bean when youngish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	13103

Comment

Aren't Greasy beans supposed to be very tender at all stages, including with fully developed beans inside? This is their specialitiy - beans with beans.

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Worth knowing!
          I’ve googled for preparation recommendations. Apparently greasy beans have strings but the strings are quite easily removed in mature pods. Traditionally the cooking time is long apparently. I’ve seen at least 30-60 minutes suggested.
          This goes against the grain somewhat; I like to cook most green vegetables very lightly.
          Some experimentation to look forward to.

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          Brown Tobacco Worm doesn't have greasy pods as far as I can tell.

How quiet the forum has become!

A quick progress report on the SMAC beans:

Grady Bailey Greasy Cutshort is the slowest and is in flower but only just.
        Brown Tobacco Worm and Non Tough Half Runner producing and filling out. Neither looking very greasy at the moment Click image for larger version

Name:	F4B8BBCD-8FF8-44B5-91AA-FDB8935EEC27.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	767.7 KB
ID:	13142Click image for larger version

Name:	C2E8CECD-6D78-4862-97AE-415C055DBFBB.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	827.2 KB
ID:	13143

Comment

Tobacco worm looks more greasy. What happens if you run a pod past your lips? Can you feel hairs? They should be smooth with greasies. NT half runner does not look shiny at all.

Comment

Had our first meals with BTW and NT Half Runner over the weekend. Neither are greasy types. Only baby pods on the Grady Bailey at this point.

Comment

Strung up the first foot of 'leather britches' this evening, using well-filled NT Half Runners. An exciting prospect - never prepared beans in this way before.
              Still no crop from the Grady Bailey greasies, looks like those baby pods aborted in the heatwave.

Comment

Pity, if anything they should have thrived in the hotter temperatures. Still not too late. Fingers crossed.

Comment

My first greasy bean 'Red Striped Greasy' is ready and the first seeds are drying. In the foreground a greasy pod, then they get the red stripe on the pods, the third a dried pod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	redstripedgreasy.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	13234

Comment

• triffid
                    triffid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very attractive have you tasted any?

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, string has to be removed, flavour strong beany and has a little bite, nice mouth feel.

The Grady Baileys have really been trying to catch up through September. Picked several bunches of very tender mild-flavoured beans over the past couple of weeks while the other two varieties were slowing down. It doesn't seem to mind the (relative) cool and damp, at least after establishment. There has been some new lush top-growth this autumn that has attracted the cursed blackfly. Left the first pods on the earliest vines to mature; when fully ripe and during senescence they develop blue speckling.

Comment

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Excellent news on the Grady Bailleys, Triffid. The blue speckling is interesting.

• Jang
                    Jang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's good indeed. Mine haven't prospered. They've struggled to produce a few pods, but not fully healthy ones, perhaps afflicted by whatever has affected quite a lot of my beans. Perhaps your motor southern temperatures have helped.

I had something of a surprise on Blue Greasy Grits. I do not remember them as greasy from growing before. However this year I have both shiny pods and matte pods. Opening the matte pods, they are grey on the inside with black seeds. The shiny pods are white on the inside and also have black seeds. I have kept the seeds separate. The pods are the same length and the seeds look the same apart from the differences mentioned. I don't know what to make of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bluegreasygrits.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	13278

Comment

• Jang
                    Jang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting. I posted a response back on Page 1 when you wrote a couple of days ago about your Blue Greasy Grits. I'm just wondering whether you saw it?

• triffid
                    triffid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Strange occurence. Shiny pods are recessive so it could be segregation if the variety wasn't homozygous? Kinda weird to be called 'greasy grits' if they are matte.

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you Triffid. Maybe there was a cross. So the shiny ones are more typical, but probably an F2 selection rather than the original. Pity. They look the same otherwise and have the same characteristic of bunches of many beans and the same seeds. I just thought it was a not greasy greasy. As the term greasy also seems to be used for not shiny beans which similar characteristics, like the very visible beans. Maybe they are more of a landrace and not a definite narrowly defined variety, given the greasy beans are mostly 'house beans' collected from single family farms.
                    Last edited by Galina; 09-10-2020, 06:28.

Would you like some extra seeds of Grady Bailey Jang, since you didn't have a good season with them?

Haven't had an update from jayb in a while, hope they're okay.

Comment

• Jang
                    Jang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A few would be great. Thanks triffid. I live in hope that my bean troubles of this season won’t carry over. I can make some use of the meadow area I’ve spilled over into - with careful rabbit protection.

Yes, jayb is much missed. I hope we hear from her before too long.

• triffid
                    triffid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Alrighty, I'll put them in with the seed circle stuff.

• Jang
                    Jang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great. Many thanks.
                Working...
                X