No announcement yet.

Runner bean ‘Black Mountain’ ​​​​​​​??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner bean ‘Black Mountain’ ​​​​​​​??

I’ve been growing a runner bean, Ph coccineus, which I ‘know’ as ‘Black Mountain’. I’ve had it for a few years from before I noted names or sources.
    I’m now doubting the name as I’m wondering whether I’ve misremembered itClick image for larger version

Name:	15D62F2A-7A27-431F-A06E-D0CB9C093280.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	11049 at some point and I’m afraid I can’t remember who gave it to me. I can find no reference online to a ‘Black Mountain’. It has lovely large shiny black beans. I wondered whether anyone has grown a similar variety with a similar name or can suggest what it might be if it’s not Black Mountain. I’m pretty sure it’s Black something!

The one I've grown is Black Magic from ISSA, though I think HSL offer it sometimes also. I'm not familiar with the variety Black Mountain runners, the seeds look gorgeous. Are you going to be growing these this year?

Comment

The only black-seed varieties with which I can directly compare are 'Brecon Black' and 'Coal', and.. well.. they're both black and shiny like your photo. So ends my very useful contribution
      Neither am I familiar with the name 'Black Mountain'. Do you recall any characteristics of the plant?

Comment

The only characteristics I can mention are that it has the usual red flowers and that the pods aren’t particularly tender so it’s for the dried beans that I like it.

I’m beginning to think that indeed Black Magic is my bean and that my own error in substituting Mountain for Magic is to blame. It stirs memories of struggling to remember which of these common Black M combinations it might be, and somewhere along the line I’ve lost the original packet.

Yes, I will be growing it again. Up till now I’ve grown white Czar, Painted Lady, Black M and various commercial snap varieties like Lady Di in a glorious tangle on one big frame. And so far there’s been little or no apparent crossing. We’ll see what this year brings.

Comment

I thought I had some more Black runners, came across this picture. I'm not sure this is any help though

Click image for larger version

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	11062

Comment

• Jang
            Jang commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting that ISSA should hold two black seeded runners. Thanks. I think mine are perhaps longer with some tapering and more angled ends. I’m pretty satisfied now that they’re Black Magic. The cogs of my memory have been rustily stirred.

• jayb
            jayb commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok, glad it is sorted.
            To link in with that, it is interesting to note that both the Black Mountain and the Black Mountains are part of the Brecon Beacons in Wales, which is known for it's magic!

I'm still trying to sort bean pictures! While looking through I found this photo of Black Magic beans and ISSA blurb if you don't have it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1870-001.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	586.2 KB
ID:	11123

Comment

• Jang
            Jang commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks very much for this. I’ll add it to my notes.
            Rebsie Fairholm has a full and interesting report on her experience of Black Magic which is spot on. http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.co...-bean.html?m=1
            I agree that they’re not the best as a Runner for eating green but I love shelling them and finding magically either pink or bluish seeds inside depending on the stage of maturity.

• jayb
            jayb commented
            Editing a comment
            Their flavour is good, but yes the stringiness is not so great. Picked young and quickly into the kitchen and cooked helps too. Pinky bluey beans are a lovely sight.
        Working...
        X