Mixed bean seeds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed bean seeds.

These are a jumbled up mix of seeds from 2017, I think a pod of everything that was ready to pick at the time, I didn't label anything so couldn't add them in with varieties after and as some are quite similar I'd need to grow them to know!

The pictures are all from the same selection, any guesses for what or how many varieties?

Click image for larger version

Name:	090.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	11071

Name:	091.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	11072

Name:	092.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	11073

Name:	094.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	968.2 KB
ID:	11074

I recognise the pale green round ones but the name has escaped me. I think I see Succotash, Jacobs Cattle, Fort Portal Jade, Petit Gris. A Rob Lobitz purple is in there, no sure if Blooming Prairie, Purple Prince or Purple Dove, they look so similar.

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow so many beans. Great effort triffid to name some. It's one of those tasks when you are bored you start to search and search to see how many you can name. Lol I'm not going down this route sometimes ocd can kick spend many hours searching.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Just how many beans did you grow in 2017? I do not recognise very many of them. Yes the Lobitz Blooming Prairie but not that many others. There must be 40 varieties in that photo. Amazing variety, so beautiful.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you are so right Clumsy!

Too many Galina, I know they were all over the place, it was a very beany year! The large stripy one is Jembo Polish, there should be Slovenian (Yellow), Siva and your Slovenian Yellow been in there too. They were pretty much all climbers with just a few dwarf varieties.

The Purple coloured one is Purple Amazon, which is by Lobitz too I think. The seeds are an amazing colour, so vivid, I don't think the pictures above do them justice.

Succotash yes, one of my faves. Fort Portal Jade and Petit Gris are there also.

No Jacobs cattle, this is one I'm not 100% on and need to check, I think it is an Armenian bean from Ijevan and given the name Doti Dotian to identify it.

Purple Amazon, these seeds are a couple of years old now but still hold quite a bit of colour, pretty little eyes/faces I think.

Name:	132.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	11083
    Last edited by jayb; 02-02-2020, 20:25. Reason: Add picture

Comment

The Purple Amazon is lovely. I haven’t come across it before.

I thought the big stripey one was Tiger’s Eye but I guess it’s Jumbo Polish browned with age.

I’m intrigued by the one shown in my screenshot which seems to have split patterning. Might it be an outcross?

Comment

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        Jumbo = Jembo. Over active spellcheck!

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        That's Bosnian Pole, the seeds are darker here as a few years old, but they are pretty freshly harvested too. It's a lovely green bean, flat pods and stringless which is great. They are quite eye-catching with that extra layer of colour.

I just looked up Purple Amazon on Russell Crow’s site. His picture isn’t at all beautifully purple like yours; they’re buff/stone coloured. A bit puzzling but yours are far more interesting! https://www.abeancollectorswindow.com/beanpage5.html

Comment

Thanks for the link, the beans shown on that site do look a different colour and are also described as a bush bean. The ones I have are half runners, not tall but certainly putting out runners and climbing bamboo canes. I didn't have any details about them other than name and growth type. I thought they looked similar to a couple of Lobitz varieties, but that was my guess. I've tried doing a search but with limited results so far.

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Could try one of the Facebook bean forums perhaps? They seem quite distinctive with the pale area round the hilum.

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that's an option, any suggestions as I don't belong to any?

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Heirloom Beans Addicts Anonymous and Bohnen-Atlas both have lively discussions and knowledgeable participants.
      Working...
      X