Grey Eyed Greasy Bean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Eyed Greasy Bean

Following on from another thread where these were mentioned I thought they deserved their own thread.

Being a fan of greasy beans I was pleased to be passed along some seeds which I grew in 2017. I don't seem to have growing notes for these or at least not to hand. From memory, they grew ok although I think later setting than some but not too late as I was able to save seed. A factor might be that they were started on the late side so all in all I was pleased with how they grew. I noted the seed colour wasn't as bright and the seeds were skinnier than the original. I've noticed before beans grown here sometimes produce paler or less pronounced markings on bean seeds, I think due to the cooler and damp summers that frequent. I might be wrong but I think my seed came from Galina, who I'm sure knows much more about their origin than I do. These are certainly one I plan to grow again.

Picture dried seeds from 2017 harvest, I'll see if I have any growing pictures and/or some of the original seed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	211.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	11233

Later I’ll post a photo of the beans I’ve just received.

I started a new thread to respond to your observation about your saved seed being paler and having less pronounced patterning as it was in connection with other varieties .

Comment

Look forward to comparing them, are they on your grow out list this year?
      I should have pictures of the seed I received too somewhere, my computer got a bit garbled and annoyingly it's not always straight forward finding things!

Comment

These are the Grey Eyed Greasy I received from Bohnen-Atlas. They do have more grey than the ones you’ve shown above. Click image for larger version

Name:	D3F83571-974F-4687-A083-E20A2B53DE85.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	11250
        Yes, I intend to grow them this year.

Comment

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          These are very pretty, good luck with them this year. What's the process for exchange with Bohnen-atlas? There seem to be three different methods, incl. black box - with the language barrier it's leaving me a little confused.

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          My understanding is that it's fairly loose. Galina was very helpful in not only translating but suggesting how to proceed. Cori Met heroically holds and administers the vast collection as far as I understand it. The first step is to contact her by personal message through Facebook Messenger to say what beans you have available to send and what you would like from her. There's no specific quota either way. The initial access to this is through the Announcement part of the Facebook group page.

I hope this might get you a little further

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the tip!

I received them from Calvin Gross in Kentucky with the following note "Grey Eyed Greasy Beans: Long podded beauty. Climber and quite prolific. It came to me from a family in Berea, Kentucky."

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, they seem to be not widely available for sale but they're stocked by The Sample Seed Shop which claims to have received them from a seed swap in Berea, Kentucky.
          I guess that firmly locates them in the Appalachians.

Yes your beans look much better than mine Jang, the colour in your photo is quite different.

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Does this last comment refer to your 2017 saved seed? I've just had an exchange on another forum about seed browning with age. Sometimes the colour change can be quite striking. Your seed might well be fine.

But if you're thinking of growing it this year, I'd be very happy to post you some of my Bohnen-Atlas seed if you'd like to have a go with that

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry about the multiple posting. The 'post' button didn't seem to be responding but obviously was!

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          Umm, I'm still deciding on a grow list, as much as I want to grow them this year I may go with older seeds before I lose them. Perhaps I might just do one or two to check for colour and then I'll know where I am with these. Thanks for your offer, if it's ok with you I won't take you up on it now but perhaps in the Autumn if you have a few spare seeds. Ta
          I think you might well be right about the colour, I'll check back and see if I took pictures of any freshly harvested.
      Working...
      X