Black Russian Broad Bean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Russian Broad Bean

I thought these sounded interesting, but information on the internet is a bit limited. I like the description from Irish Seed Savers,

This was a bean selected in the Gribovsky Russian breeding station in the 1950’s. Compact plants with beautiful lilac flowers that fruit in a short season, pods 8cm or so long. The beans are small and tender and of course dark, deep purple – very beautiful.
    http://store.irishseedsavers.ie/Blac.../seed-blac.htm

My seeds are from a different source and I'm hoping they are describing the same variety as I have. I didn't have a chance to grow them this year, but they are top of my list for next year. Lilac flowers sound pretty cool. Seeds are quite small and very black to look at. As far as I can tell they grow to around 1 metre.
    Last edited by Admin; 02-10-2014, 08:35. Reason: Add tag

Oh goodness, more purple things! I love purple things.

(And yes I know, I have questions to answer. I should have time for that tomorrow.)

Comment

I got a black-seeded variety from Jaap Vlaming years ago, but they are very small and the yields are very light. Admittedly I tend to grow them as a second crop in the greenhouse when the main broadies are no longer flowering which does contribute to light yields. Maybe the Russian specially selected/bred ones are much higher yielding. MMMMhhh healthy black hummus.

Comment

I really need to find room for some broad beans. Maybe if I ever get my new raised bed started...

Comment

Originally posted by Silverleaf View Post
          I really need to find room for some broad beans. Maybe if I ever get my new raised bed started...
          Oooh yes, they are so delish! What about an early crop followed by something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
            I got a black-seeded variety from Jaap Vlaming years ago, but they are very small and the yields are very light. Admittedly I tend to grow them as a second crop in the greenhouse when the main broadies are no longer flowering which does contribute to light yields. Maybe the Russian specially selected/bred ones are much higher yielding. MMMMhhh healthy black hummus.
            They sound interesting do they have a name? I have Syrian Black from HSL, which are small seeded, again one I'm hoping to grow next year. Love Broadies

Comment

Originally posted by jayb View Post
              Oooh yes, they are so delish! What about an early crop followed by something else?
              Good idea - could follow with something oriental that needs to be sown after midsummer, perhaps?

Comment

Never grown broadies here, and I think I've only eaten them twice! I did like them though.

Comment

I'm aiming to sow some in modules in January for an earlier crop, probably for the poly tunnel but I might do for outside planting too (well that's the plan!)

Good idea - could follow with something oriental that needs to be sown after midsummer, perhaps?
                  Sounds good, some of the orientals should do well after them or perhaps kale or spring cabbage, beetroot too?
                  Last edited by jayb; 01-10-2014, 17:34.

Comment

Yes it is Syrian Black. He gave some to HSL. Had forgotten about that.

Comment

Good to know, although I've not grown them yet I started a thread for them in anticipation! http://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.co...ack-broad-bean

Comment

Seeds and seed packet. The seeds are blacker to look at than Grano Violetto and size wise they are slightly smaller than Crimson flowered. I'll try and get a picture to compare.

Comment

My black Russian beans are just starting to flower, I think regular type colour flowers (white/black) All except for one sourced from ISSA which must have been cross pollinated, as the flower buds look quite different, much darker. Perhaps crossed to Crimson Flowered as I've had different coloured flowers before with crossed Crimsons.

Comment

The first Black Russian off type flower opened today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	2928

Click image for larger version

Name:	007-001.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2929

Comment

So dark! I love them.

Interesting rereading my earlier posts in this thread - I ended up using my whole brassica bed for broadies because I have no impulse control. Broccoli and kale will have to wait until they've finished!

Comment

• Galina
                                Galina commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Exotic or what! I loved your chocolate flowers, but this is even more unusual. It is a shame if none of these flowers can be stabilised. Even so, enjoy for this generation.
                            Working...
                            X