Odd Flat Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Flat Rose

Earlier this year I was sowing saved seed from Rose Family x and I noticed two odd-looking seeds in the bunch they were sort of flat and round and reminded me somewhat of a lima bean. They stood out as they look nothing like any of the other Rose cross seeds. Picture is poor but gives an idea of how they looked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210524_190922581 Diddly.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	14453

I sowed these two seeds in a pot together separate from the other Rose Cross seeds and as the seeds were none too fresh, I was chuffed to have one germinate. It was very delicate to start and I did wonder if it was going to live for a while. It did start to grow on a little and I planted it out with an equally poor looking Ijevan Giant as a neighbour.

So here is Diddly Rose, a grand 4" high so far and not much sign of becoming a climber. I'm not sure the plant will come too much and the seed shape might have resulted from an odd-shaped pod? But I'm going to continue to coax this little bean plant just to see. The other Rose Family cross plants are all starting to or climbing up poles.
    You can see I'm ambitious as a cane placed ready for Diddly to climb!

Name:	IMG_3944 Diddly.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	612.8 KB
ID:	14454

I am growing Rose again this year, but not the variants. Last time I grew those they were all climbers. 'Diddly Rose' made me laugh. They look very healthy. Interesting, the 'Lima' variant.

Comment

Yes same here, I've only ever known climbers from that group, hence the bamboo in anticipation.

I liked Rose, such a lovely variety.
      I'm not sure which types of seed germinated from the varients as I sowed them mixed and I planted out any that germinated, but there were a few types that looked similar pattern to Rose although not quite the same coloring. It would be lovely if any have made it through in the small selection I have planted.

Interesting, the 'Lima' variant.
      if it ever gets to making seed they will probably look nothing like the ones I planted, but you never know.

Comment

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I'm afraid one that has slipped.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully I can rectify that later in the year.

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be wonderful, thank you.
        And if any of my Rose extended Family I'm growing this year are standouts, perhaps I can tempt you with some of them?

Diddly Rose is not so diddly after all.
      After mucking about and fooling me to think it was a throwback to something very short and never going to do much, Diddly Flat Rose is unrecognizable and seems to more of a Diddly Jack in the Beanstalk Rose.

Diddly, several climbing stems all on the first cane in the picture

Name:	IMG_4954a.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	14801

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Well you did show Diddly a big stick. Looks very healthy and b i g !

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        No sign of flowers, too much growing going on I think.

Just shelling Rose Family Bean seeds. These got your name on it Jayb.

Comment

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, and me, happy dance! Such a lovely bean and oh so tasty.
        Plus I'd almost forgotten how lovely they look.
    Working...
    X