Naughty Norberg!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naughty Norberg!

(Norberg makes a 2' bush, producing pods with large-seeded purple kidney bean, they taste great and are ideal for dry and shellies. )

Well, after telling someone what an easy and reliable bean Norberg is , never putting a foot wrong. I picked a few pods for shellies the other day and was a little surprised to pod these rather than red/purple kidney bean types. At first with the pale pinky one I thought it was small seeds and hadn't coloured up. Then opened a grey and a faintly pattern pinky one.

Humph what a lot of bean crossing going on, I think I'm going to have to rethink saving seeds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5863.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	642.4 KB
ID:	15714

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5867.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	15715

Interesting. Difficult to know how to rethink. I imagine the recommended planting distances, to be absolutely safe, would mean growing only a very small number of varieties for most of us. Or are you thinking that some kind of bagging might be feasible?

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Bagging an unopened flower truss is not difficult and they self pollinate of course. Easy with wedding favour organza bags where you just pull the handles. The truss will obviously grow as the beans develop, so it is a case of a slightly larger bag or check frequently. I had a couple of bent beans on my Romanians, taking the baggie off slightly late, but that was no problem either. For seedsaving it only takes a few in any case.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I was wondering about a veggie mesh tunnel for bush beans at flowering time and perhaps a few climbers could share a little of the taller net tunnel. But then Galina's suggestion of covering with bags might be an easier option.

I don't remember beans crossing quite so much previously. I wonder whether individual summers make a difference or perhaps timing for what else is available for bees to forage on. Might just be a change in bee populations in the area and some favour bean flowers more. Overall I have noticed a fair amount of activity on beans and peas this year. Perhaps having the squash patch close to the beans draws them in too.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, either more is happening recently, or some of us and other bean growers are reporting on it more.
      But in fact, there’s always been quite a lot reported in dedicated bean growing networks such as Easy Bean Network, Facebook Heirloom Beans Addicts Anonymous and Bohnen-Atlas

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, I think I need to get out more!

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, if you grow a lot, there’s no time to go out between about February and October! 😊

Deleted
    Last edited by Jang; 09-09-2021, 13:48.

Comment

Working...
    X