Look what a lovely person sent me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what a lovely person sent me!

Apparently a mixture of small cold-resistant types and crosses between those and larger commercial ones. How cool is that?

What a lovely looking mix of beans
    Are you going to sow some now?

Comment

Might as well! Probably should look up how to grow them, right?

Comment

I think I'll put them in the bed that had legumes this year, and will have brassicas next year. They can add some more nitrogen, and should be done before I really need the space for big stuff - little broccoli and cabbage seedlings can spend a few months in between the bean plants!

I got a packet of some ordinary broad beans (I forget which variety) in the Wilkos sale, so I'll shove them in as well. Will be interesting to see if the landrace does better!

Comment

Bunyards Exhibition.

Comment

Treasure trove!

Comment

I know! So many different types, with such variation.

Comment

I thought I'd update about these - I sowed some back in the autumn/early winter, and some in spring. I also sowed Bunyard's Exhibition both times, and beans from the 2014 seed swap parcel (variety unknown).

Winter Landrace - doing well, as far as my limited experience can assess, with lots of flowers ready to open now. Obviously much earlier to flower than Bunyard's Exhibition.
                Winter Bunyard's Exhibition - also look good, but only one flower so far and a few tiny buds. They look like they'll get taller than the landrace, but they have fewer leaves and are less developed.

It's too early to be able to assess the spring-sown varieties right now, but they also look nice plants and there's very little difference in the three types.

Comment

They are already sounding like they will be an excellent winter mix, Good growing too I think, overwintered beans can be tricky. Look forward to hearing how the flowers and pods look.

Comment

Yes, I think you're right. The guy who sent them to me said they over wintered well for him in France, and that many of the varieties in the race were small-seeded cold-hardy types. I guess there's been some heavy selection there for resistance to cold, because anything that didn't survive the winter wouldn't make any seeds!

My plan with this race is to add in a few other varieties here and there and let them cross as they want. I'll sow in autumn and resow in spring to fill in gaps, and I'll only save from the winter ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X