Bean varieties of 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean varieties of 2022

Thought it would be nice to have another thread to record our bean varieties for this season. I'll start by adding what I've already sown, but I may add a few more from the seed circle as June progresses. Hope your beans are growing away nicely!

French, climbing and half-runner

Atlas (wax)
    Aurie de Bacau crosses
    Barksdale Wax
    Brown Tobacco Worm
    Crochets de Savoie
    Cherokee Greasy
    Cherokee Long Greasy
    Eddie Sim's Travelling
    Fortex
    Fortner Family Greasy
    Frye's Golden Goose
    Frye's GG Offtypes
    Gialét
    Laughing Arlie Greasy
    Lil' Daisy
    Mantra
    Mazlenk Visok Dolgi Stroki
    Mountaineer White Half-Runner
    Myrtle Allen
    Non-Tough Half Runner
    North Carolina Long Greasy Early
    Old Joe Clark
    Ortner Speck
    Paarse Johan
    Petit Carré de Caen
    Petit Gris
    Petit Gris Variant
    Phil's
    Pink Tip Greasy
    Quatre-au-Mètre
    Robert Hazelwood
    Romanian x St. George F2
    Sallee-Dunahoo Family White Greasy
    Striped Bunch
    Užice Speckled Wax
    White Seeded Cherokee Trail of Tears
    White Simpson Greasy
    Wide Pod White Greasy

French, dwarf

Babcia Aniela
    Cupidon
    Frye's GG Dwarf Offtype
    Hodson Silver Wax
    Noir de Belgique
    Rockwell
    Saint Esprit d'Oeil Rouge
    Veitch's Wonder/Nain de Veitch

Runners

Aeron Purple Star, Blackpod (reddish variant), Judión, Piękny Jaś Wrzawski, Salford Black.
    Last edited by triffid; 03-07-2022, 20:01. Reason: extended list

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220505_191734.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	16600
    Some variability in Frye's Golden Goose. On the left are the original seeds from Gales Meadow Farm.
    Seeds in the middle are fresh, from last year's crop, so the colour is brighter.
    On the top-right are the 'FGG Dwarf Offtype' which appears to be stable after a couple of generations. This year I have enough seeds for a better assessment of growth, and hopefully taste for the first time. I do know that the pods are completely free from parchment, and 'creaseback', i.e. the pods develop to be thick and filled out all around the circumference, with an indentation or crease along the suture strings.
    On the bottom-right are some offtype seeds which I picked out of the original seed stock. What will come of them is anyone's guess. The 'FGG Dwarf Offtype' came from a seed very similar in appearance to the squarish brown one on the top-left of that offtype pile.
    Last edited by triffid; 01-06-2022, 16:35.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Have heard many good things about Barksdale. And so many other interesting beans in your list. Fabulous.

Interesting. I’m growing Frye’s Golden Goose this year too from the original seed received from you, Triffid. I think you shared the original seeds from Gales Meadow Farm. The only photo I have is of the original seed which shows one, or perhaps two, differently shaped seeds

Click image for larger version  Name:	18D3CE11-3F04-4A88-8B6D-B339CE044AA2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	16602 .

Unfortunately I didn’t follow up the difference or photograph the seeds actually sown in either 2020 or this year. I’ll see if I can track down the seeds I harvested in 2020.
    Last edited by Jang; 02-06-2022, 05:50.

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the seeds I sent you were from the original pack. I can see some forms in the photo that may indicate that they came from differently shaped pods. Do let me know if you would like more seeds.

This is from Anne Berblinger herself. Not a very uniform bean by all accounts, but a landrace, that she bred to be slightly more uniform. With new locations acting as mutation accelerators it makes sense to see more spread than the original seeds would suggest.

"The first year it was planted at Gales Meadow Farm, it displayed evidence of lots of crosses, so I cleaned it up over the course of several seasons.” https://osseeds.org/ossi-varieties/fryes-golden-goose/

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      It does appear to be a stubborn landrace, which I love. She did tell me that even after many years of selection, there are still rogues that are a different shape or colour. She didn't mention dwarf/bush types, though.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      My 2020 growing produced only a very even yellowish colouring much like your middle group above, with a small number more oval than snub-ended.

These are my French beans:

Astrid
    Royal Baccarat
    Abundance
    Barry Island
    Blue Coco
    Brown Tobacco Worm
    Corn Planter
    Cosse Violette
    Dow Purple Pod
    Extra Hatif de Juillet
    Flor de Mayo
    Frye’s Golden Goose
    Gill’s Delicious
    Grand-mère
    Herrenböhnli
    Hewitt
    Kjem’s Pea bean
    La Vigneronne
    Lilaschecke
    Major Cook's
    Mantra
    Mazlenk Visok Dolgi Stroki
    Ora’s Speckled
    Ortner Speck
    Paarse Johan
    Phil’s
    Poletschka
    Potomac
    Rob Roy
    Selugia
    Slovenian Market
    Strecour del Piemonte
    Sultan Gold Crescent
    Zelma Zesta
    Bela Putersnica
    Lucca Pea

Black Turtle
    Aida Gold
    Blooming Prairie
    Cannellino Lingot
    Coco Nain Blanc
    Contender
    Falcon
    Idelight
    Jacob’s Cattle
    Jalo Vermelho
    Kenearly Yellow Eye
    Maxidor
    Noir de Belgique
    Purple Rose
    Railroad
    Royalty
    Ungarische Reisbohne
    Xenia Field
    Zumbro Falls
    Owl

For runner beans I'm growing Firestorm, Judion, Enorma Elite and Mrs Cannell’s Black
    Last edited by Jang; 06-06-2022, 05:16.

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      Curious how many plants per variety you will be growing?

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m growing mostly just four of each climbing variety, sometimes five. I believe this is the number Russ Crow grows, at least he puts four to a single pole.
      For dwarf I’m growing about eight.

The climbing beans are growing a little closer together than previously so it might all become a bit of a jungle, but at least they’re quite strongly supported. So I’ll just see how it goes. 🤞

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. A bit of bean fever seems to have broken out. Lovely. Just asking, were your Ortner Speck seeds roundish and fairly bright purple blue or slightly more elongated with a more muted blue? The bright purple more roundish seeds may be the wrong ones. In theory we will see which type comes true from seed. If both do, we need to think again.

Beans here are still evolving, as I stuck some very old seeds in between rows of other veg to see what, if any still germinate. I like going back to the oldest possible seeds, to use them up rather than wasting and to compare with more recent growouts as extra insurance that nothing untoward happened. These will make good beans to eat.

I had a query about from Bohnenatlas about my Ortner Speck returns, so I went back to my oldest seeds, compared and yes, they are indeed a little different. So two batches of Ortner Speck this year. For comparison and correction if necessary. I made the mistake of not going back and checking with my freezer stores.

Georgian No 2 old seeds have already sprouted and also old Early Riser, aka Homestead. And possibly quite a few more to come from these 7 to 9 year old seeds.

Oddments are the interspecies cross between Romanian and St George. Also a lunatus Hopi Yellow butterbean.

Runnerbeans are again Enorma Elite and Sunset with its pink flowers (not out yet).

French Beans:

Pink Tip Greasy

Noir de Belgique

Cherokee Long Greasy

Infra 14 (my cross between Indiana Banana and Berner Landfrauen) which had light green pods last grow out

Visok Rumen Zgodnij for the Bohnenatlas - 3 plants only. Got seeds last year which grew into very unhealthy plants and crossed also. Hoping for much healthier plants and have plumped for those seeds which I think might be the correct ones. I could be wrong, but we will see and compare to the other seed types in the merry cross. Looking for healthy plants and for the same long, light brown seeds as planted.

F2 Romanian x Viola Cornetti. Last year purple stems and very early purple pods. This year surprisingly green stems! We'll see what transpires there.

Cherokee Greasy

Salewski's Ungarische

Mr Yeoman's Whiteseeded Cherokee Trail of Tears

Pastoral (one red stem, observe)

Grand Mere only 3 plants but hope more will germinate as one extra germinated after planting out.

Liscek Visok

Mascherina del Cadore

Filant growout for Bohnenatlas. Dw with big sprays of small, pencil beans.

Blue Coco

Gialet dw 3 only

St Esprit d'oel rouge dw

Streceur del Piemonte

Paarse Johan

Oude Slovense Boterboon

Beefy resilient grex (now that does have different colour stems but entirely expected as it is a grex)

Rosso di Lucca dw

Squaw dw

Cara la Virgen de la Baneza Leon

Monstrance

Blauhilde

Zelena Malstenka, purple pods. From Bohnenatlas, but was very mixed 'variety' indeed and I don't know yet which type is correct. Maybe next year I will try and make more sense of what might be the correct one, but last year the purple pods were amazing, so I am growing six of those this year to observe and for the kitchen.

Rinzenberg dw for Bohnenatlas

Rob Roy, but only 2 plants

New Mexico Cave, one of those Indian beans said to have been found in a cave in a clay pot and germinated centuries later - or not! Just like the mummy peas 'found in the pyramids', there is a bit of a similar story going on in USA with caves and beans.

NC speckled Long Greasy cutshort, the correct version from the freezer, also a variety that does cross as we know from the Early version received recently. This was shared with the seed circle several years ago. Probably needs organza bags to guarantee ongoing seed purity.

Einkornbohne Burgthann for the Bohnenatlas dw

Rabe dw for the Bohnenatlas

Mother's Six Weeks, seeds were also from Mr Yeoman originally USA. Haven't grown for ages, but seed safely slumbered in the freezer.

Blaue aus Ungarn. Thank you Jang. My batch from a seed gift last year was not all the same, but now hope to grow the definitive BaU.

Tobacco Worm (white seeded, found in freezer and this year 3 plants d i d germinate), also from Mr Yeoman originally. Yes I did 'find' all the Mr Y bean packets in the freezer while looking for the original Cherokee White ToT from Mr Y and then finding other treasures and could not resist.

Jack Edwards pea bean

Blauweiße von Bernarda for Bohnenatlas

Jack's Blue and Green from Portugal and

Wulleboon , both newly germinated from the old seeds, spotted this lunchtime.

Sorry this isn't nicely in alphabetical order. Numbers are from a low 2 for Rob Roy to over a dozen. Most of them between 5 and 8.
    Last edited by Galina; 04-06-2022, 11:47.

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      An extensive list with so many varieties that are new to me! Is Visok Rumen Zgodnij another wax bean?

Jang I'm under the impression that North Carolina Long Greasy and the early selection of this variety are not directly related to the North Carolina Speckled Long Greasy Cutshort.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Jan, The original seed circle bean is the speckled one. Which I grew first 12 years ago, when there was no mention of any E version in the SMAC catalogue. But looking back at this year's SMAC catalogue it is indeed far more likely that the E version developed from another bean altogether, just like Triffid said. Yes indeed, these names are so very similar and cumbersome to boot, that I missed that, thanks Triffid for pointing it out. The E version arose out of North Carolina Long Greasy and does not have speckled and cutshort in the name, which my original seed donation bean had.

I had crosses from my speckled original one, speckled, black and whiteseeded in my case. That is why this year I have gone back to freezer stocks and will grow with organza baggies for guaranteed pure seed of the original speckled one. Greasies do have more of a tendency to cross than many other French beans.

I then have North Carolina Long Greasy E from SMAC this year and a different North Carolina speckled long greasy cutshort bean, also from SMAC. I need a cool wet towel round my head

PS: to make matters more complicated still, I would not call NC speckled l g a 'cutshort' bean. Cutshort means that the beans have squared edges as there is not enough room and they get crowded in the pod. But as this old seed circle photo shows, there is no crowding in those pods. http://seedsaverscircle.org/seed-cir...ircle-2012/nc/
      Last edited by Galina; 06-06-2022, 10:47.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Triffid, Yes, it is a yellow one. We will see whether I have plumped for the right seeds. The plants were very sick, only few seeds made it in the first place, leaves were unhealthy and sickly and they barely made it beyond half tall plants, then produced varied seeds. I do hope this year's plants will grow healthier, so far they look good and the leaves do not have the same peculiar puckering.

Well I thought it was a relative, mainly borne out of the experience of also getting a white seeded offspring from NC speckled long greasy cutshort . Which was very prolific last year. But knowing these as originally speckled (as is in the name), it was time to go back to the freezer stocks.

I also went back to the SMAC catalogue and yes, you are right. The North Carolina long greasy in this year's catalogue and the E version are related beans. I had it wrong. And the NC speckled long greasy cutshort is not related and neither is it in the catalogue this year.
      Last edited by Galina; 07-06-2022, 06:45.

My Ortner Speck seeds. They were in the last A4A seed circle so I imagine similar to others in that circle. I guess these are the more elongated ones? So hopefully true to type.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F7EB9376-F2D7-4B10-830D-53842153B884.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	16621

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      The more elongated ones are probably correct. Here are the photos in Bohnenatlas, the second row left hand photo with the bright purple seeds, is probably wrong. https://www.bohnen-atlas.de/sorten/o/1629-ortner-speck

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Galina, could I check please. The second row right hand photo looks brighter purple to me.

And in my photo there is some variation in shape. Perhaps the six which look similar (four in a middle row and two in the bottom row) are the true ones. I shall select seed at harvest, and hope to preserve what is thought to be the true strain.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure which photo in Bohnenatlas you are referring to Jan. Second row right hand side is a plant photo not a bean photo. There are six photos and the fourth is the one I am talking about. On your seed portion photo from the seed circle, the ones you indicated 4 in the middle row and 2 in the bottom row, do indeed look more like the real thing.

The attached photo from a seed seller would also suggest the correct version and it is not roundish and purple. And it fits with your 4 in the second row and 2 in the third row. Difficult to tell which are correct on your photo other than those 6, as there are what I think are immature specimens. These could also be correct, but maybe not, certainly harder to see whether they are. https://www.pressmayr.at/shop/ortner-speck/
      Last edited by Galina; 06-06-2022, 17:12.

How interesting that the photos in Bohnenatlas arrange themselves differently on different devices. On my iPad I see them like this.

Name:	4FCCA641-BBDE-476A-AB11-AEAA74B200B0.png
Views:	86
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	16632

But yes, the seeds shown in your Pressmayr link do indeed look like the healthier seeds in my photo.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah now we know not to describe them in the way they appear on a certain device. It is still the fourth photo, but not the left one on row two but the right one on your iPad. On my laptop there are two rows with 3 pictures each.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I hadn't realised that effect either.
      We were in fact both talking about the same photo so all is clear now.

What is your opinion of Turkey Craw and its performance here in England?

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew it in 2019 so my memory is a bit dim. The only note I have is that it was slow. It was in tight bud on 22 August having been sown on 29 May.
      I did, however, succeed in gathering some seed.

It’s not on your list. Have you decided to grow it?

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. I was considering it, but it might be one for next year, sown earlier.

Jang, did you end up growing Pink Tip Greasy this year? If so, is it doing any better this time around?

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      They're doing fine, nothing of note yet. Put them in their permanent position today so should see some decent growth soon, fingers crossed.
      The Network beans Lil Daisy and Sallee-Dunahoo Family are showing signs of flower buds. They'd be the earliest greasies I've grown so far.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Those two Network beans sound promising. Do keep us updated on performance and taste.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      You did not ask me, but just to report that PTG are extremely slow, barely halfway up the support and nowhere near flowering either yet. White seeded Tobacco Worm is now slowly making progress and New Mexico Cave has also rallied. Those three are the slowest here. Nowhere near flowering yet.

We have pods! The FGG offtypes, Lil' Daisy, Old Joe Clark and Piękny Jaś Wrzawski have all set. Many of the rest are in bloom.
    It would appear that the FGG offtypes have been flowering for a while, as one plant has a pod at 5-6cm. They have different flower colours, some white and some pale pink, and a couple appear to be dwarves or slow to climb.

Jescot Long-un, Stenner, and Wey did not germinate. Not one! All were from commercial seed packets. In their place I sowed eight Aeron Purple Star and around forty Non-Tough Half Runner.
    Also put in a few Brown Tobacco Worm as curiosity got the better of me. I recall there was some discussion around variable traits in this variety and I hope to see them first hand. I selected seeds that weren't uniform in shape or size - a mix of the original SMAC seeds and the batch saved in 2020.

I'm adding a few more varieties, including the Aurie de Bacau crosses discovered in 2021 and some dwarf beans, and just two seeds of each of the following: Crochets de Savoie (blue), Fortner Family Greasy, Gialét, Ortner Speck, Mazlenk Visok Dolgi Stroki, Paarse Johan, Fortex and Quatre-au-Mètre. It will be the latest date I've sown climbing beans - last season the latest sown was on 25th June (Red Striped Greasy). But in the heat of the polytunnel this season, I've noticed the bean seedlings started there develop so quickly that I'm hoping a week or two difference at this stage of summer won't be too much to overcome.

Last season the blue-seeded Crochets de Savoie from Guy Dirix produced two pod types: tough straight pods and tender curved pods. I'm growing the curved selection. Seeds from both pod types are identical.
    I have a strong suspicion that Fortex and Quatre-au-Mètre are one and the same. A Normandy heritage website claims the latter is a local heirloom but provides no sources. https://patauge.org/?page_id=1840

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      You certainly have a lot of off-types and crosses to keep an eye on.
      Good luck with your interesting late showings. I think in your polytunnel they stand a good chance of catching up.
      Quatre-au-Mètre certainly seems to have the very distinctive Fortex characteristics. A good idea to sow them side by side to make a close comparison.
      Were your non-germinating seeds all from the same seed company? It would be good to know in order to beware. I had a very bad batch of bean seeds from a French company but can’t be sure they didn’t get hammered in the post. Most were split or broken.

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      What did you think of Fortex? The seeds I have are from you, 2019 I believe.
      The non-germinating lot were from Medwyns of Anglesey (Stenner, Jescot) and Mr. Forthergill's (Wey). They were not purchased this year, but I would still expect some signs of life.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew Fortex in 2019 and my memory isn’t very clear. I think they were reluctant to form good quality pods and I didn’t find them quite as satisfactory or as productive as advertised, but wish I could be more precise about exactly why.

I’ve had some poor brassica seed this year from Mr F. Something to keep an eye on.

We had our first feed yesterday from dwarf beans. Kenearly Yellow Eye, Zumbro Falls and ‘Contender’. The Contender were from the Italian donor many of whose seeds have not been reliably named, and indeed they are producing a very curved pod rather than the straight pod sown on many sites. However, they were good to eat! KYE is a flat shortish bean described as grown for dried beans, but it was good to eat young as a snap, which I suppose applies to many. .

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      This Italian donor certainly keeps you guessing! At least they're good to eat, and curved is unusual. Are they more curved than the ones pictured on Bohnen Atlas?

That’s interesting. I hadn’t actually checked Bohnen-Atlas but had just done a quick image search where the general impression was of straight beans. Bohnen-Atlas does indeed show curved beans. However, my ‘Contender’ are more curved I’d say, and are also lightly splashed with purple.

Name:	D8359CDC-D1B1-46A9-98F3-6F1BCB74118C.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	16719

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe crossed. Otherwise where does the purple come from on a green bean? And great on your first bean meal.
      Last edited by Galina; 04-07-2022, 11:30.

My own cross Infra 14 gave us the beans for a first meal. Starting very low on the plant, still light green. Unfortunately with slight string, but I am otherwise happy with them and will carry this line on. Blauhilde are not far behind.

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a good one, early! Strong climber?
      The seeds of Indiana Banana do look a lot like Indian Hannah. But assuming they're from Indiana and not Delaware where the latter originates.
      What led you to select the two parent varieties?

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not make the cross. It happened at my donor of both varieties, Larry Watson. Usual story, one seed in my swapped seed packet produced a different plant. I asked Larry, who confirmed that both were grown next to each other. From seed and other characteristics, the Berner Landfrauen parentage is very likely. He mentioned that he had the seeds from a Northern source, but no other details.

Not familiar with Indian Hannah, but googled and there are clear similarities, but IH are more variable looking. I have never found any info at all about Indiana Banana as a bean and 'Indian Hannah' has at a push the potential to be changed to Indiana Banana with the Chinese whisper renaming effect of non commercial seed packet labelling.

Yes to the top of the 8ft poles by now.
      Last edited by Galina; 07-07-2022, 15:10.

Arikara Yellow, the plants are laden, just staked them to get them off the slugs on the ground, which are a major pest again, despite halving as many as I see. Impressively high yielding.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Do your seeds show the same colour variation as shown on Bohnen-Atlas? Mine are slightly variable but quite a lot less so, and have none of the tan coloured seeds illustrated there.
      https://www.bohnen-atlas.de/sorten/a/63-arikara-yellow

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      We had the seeds from Ruud and from memory no variations of note or I would have sown and planted separately.
Working...
X