Munachedda climbing bean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munachedda climbing bean

A new one for me this year, Munachedda. I think a Heritage bean from Italy, now one of their 'Slow Food' ones. It looks good and reviews indicate it should be tasty, just hope it likes growing in Wales! Seed colour is just two colours, pale creamy coffee and white.

Very Southern Italy. Apparently very yummy shelling/drying bean. There is a black and white type too. Very rare both of them. Lets hope they will do well for you.
    http://www.fagiolidisarconi.it/Fagioli.htm

Comment

Beautiful site, so lovely. And fingers crossed they taste half as good as the reviews, I'll let you know how they do, sadly conditions are a bit far from sun baked Italy!

Comment

For comparison
        Munachedda Pale by jayb 35, on Flickr
        Papa de Role on the right, Munachedda to the left.

Comment

And again Papa de Role on the right, Munachedda to the left, with Cara La Virgen De La BaƱera Leon underneath
          Munachedda Pale by jayb 35, on Flickr

Papa de Rola are older seed, so colour is darker than if newly harvested.

Comment

Two more variations on the same theme: Beans George's from Heritage Seed Library and Tora Mame Tiger (via another seedsaver from Salt Springs Seeds in Canada).

Not a good day for photos - the website claims that the photos are corrupted!

The same photos work just fine as attachments, using the paperclip attachment button. Hey Ho!?!
            Last edited by Galina; 17-02-2015, 22:19.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	georg.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	1935 George's Bean from Heritage Seed Library

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	toramametiger.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	1937 Tora Mame Tiger

Comment

George's bean have quite a distinct pattern with that large coloured area, almost looks like each one has been dipped in white paint. Tora Mame Tiger is very pretty too, is it a climber?
                  Hewitt (HSL) also has a similar patten, I'll see if I've got pictures. Nice to have them in one spot to compare.

Comment

Yes, Tora Mame Tiger are climbers.

Comment

Do you know of any dwarf beans with a similar seed colour patten?

Comment

Sorry no. My knowledge of dwarf beans is very limited, as they are so difficult to grow here. PDR's don't really count as short, do they?

Comment

Yes dwarf, but on the tall side and need a bit of support. I've seen several descriptions referring to them as half runners growing to 4 foot, though I didn't find they grew that tall.

Comment

Working...
                          X