Atawallpa's Fingerprint Broad Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atawallpa's Fingerprint Broad Beans

Atawallpa's have done better than I first thought they were going to, they were quite slow to start flowering some with only a few flower per stem. But the plants branch quite a bit and and started to produce more flowers, they may only have two fat seeds per pod but they end up having quite a lot of them. I've just picked the first few pods for seed, this plant was a good couple of weeks ahead of the others. In fact some were quite late to flower but looking at the plants now they seem to have done alright. The colours in the patterns are still quite pale, they are not noticeable at fresh eating stage, I think they will darken some more as they ripen.

OOOhhh - AAAhhh ! broad beans looking like marble. Which continent do they hail from? Are they vicia faba? How exotic.

Comment

Yes vicia faba, I fell in love!
      If I remember right they are from Peru.

Click image for larger version

Name:	080.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	3868

Name:	079.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	3867

Comment

Wow, aren't they cool?

Comment

Whoaw i want some were can i get some seeds

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            http://www.rareseeds.com/atawallpa-s...int-fava-bean/
            Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment.

There was another seed supplier, Diaspora Seed, who sold this bean under the name of Tarma Spiral, but I think they may have gone out of business - a short search did not find their current website, but there are photos of Tarma Spiral on www from last year.

I saved some seeds which although not grown in totally isolation there should have been enough space to give a good chance they are fairly pure I'm happy to share with you, but the trouble is I can't find where I've put them!!!!
          I'm sure they will turn up soon enough, most things do.

Comment

oh yes if you can spare some that would be nice,maybe i can grow them for seeds,so i can multiplay them and have stock to swap.If you are looking for something just ask.Have a nice weekend.

Comment

I checked through my seed stash and they are not there Which means I've been a numpty again.
              If the spares don't turn up I at least have enough seeds to grow them out again next year
              Fingers crossed though.

Comment

Here's some pictures of them growing.

Young plants just before transplanting

Name:	047.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	4701

Buds

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	4702

Flowers are white and black

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	4703

The plants end up being fairly bushy with stems from the base and flowering seems to be extended.

Name:	123.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	4704

Comment

• Galina
                  Galina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't think I've seen this red stem colour before.

• jayb
                  jayb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not sure if I have, but it seems familiar?

After a somewhat slow start they ended up with a fair set of beans, though many were just 2 beans to the pod.

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	4706

Name:	122.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	4707

Comment

They are quite high producing - pleasing to see that they 'travel' without daylength issues, unlike other varieties. They are certainly very pretty. Hope you find your seeds.

Comment

jayb can i borrow one of your pictures were you show the broad beans?

Comment

Yes please do.

Comment

okee thanks jayb.How are you i hope fine.I use the picture to get me some seeds.I really want some for this year.

Comment

I'm getting there thanks.
                          Ruud have you had any luck finding some seeds? I've not seen any advertised I was hoping to find some different coloured ones. I'm sorry with all that's been happening I'd forgotten to search for these, I'm sure they will be found - when is more difficult, I remember putting them to dry and then....!!!!

I have a few seeds of a very similar type, though not quite so pretty, there may be enough to share if I can't find Atawallpa's Fingerprint. These others are called Stone Ear

Name:	048.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	4885

Comment

Working...
                          X