Ruud's Broad Bean Varieties/Trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruud's Broad Bean Varieties/Trials

broad beans arrived today and there were some intresting ones in the package

I have the following broad bean varieties from several swaps:black russian
    Double red
    Foul muddammes
    Guatemala pourpre noire
    violette
    Habas jergonas
    Lonque de belgique
    Minor
    Noire feve a fleur noire
    Sciabola verde
    Little amounts but i want to grow them to save seeds.Maybe i can put them into the seedcircle next year.Thanks for the stone ear beans i will do a grow out so they can join in the next seed cirle.I will have to grow them far from eachother because broad beans cross very easily.I am also looking forward which broad beans are in the seed cirle this year.

Comment

Wow, I've only heard of Violette, I'm going to google the others, they sound interesting. It would be lovely if you do have some for the seed circle, you are going to have beans all over your growing space
      Keep us us upto date with how they do, have you sown any yet? Mine are still in the packets- not so good! Any pictures of the seeds I'd love to see them?

Comment

Oh I missed Black Russian at the top of the list, I grew some last year very nice indeed. I think there is a thread on here about them.
        http://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.co...ian-broad-bean (Lol story of my life, losing things, I must get more organised!)
        Last edited by jayb; 21-02-2016, 06:47. Reason: Add link

Comment

That's a pretty exotic list Ruud.

Comment

I will keep everybody here informed about the progress.I also have a local broad bean and oldambster wierboon.I will put some in next seed circle if i am succeeded in growing a stock.

Comment

Great, look forward to your updates.
              Is oldambster wierboon the pretty white flowered one?

Comment

Yes jayb that is a white flowering broad bean.

Comment

I grew some last year, so pretty and a lovely tasty bean

Comment

Went on facebook yesterday and an experienced Dutch seedsaver insisted that the correct name is 'Oldambster Wierdeboon'. Not knowing better (or knowing Dutch for that matter) I have always used the name that was on the seed packet I received originally from Jaap Vlaming. Just for completeness I thought I'd better mention it. Looking at the photo he attached, it is the same bean.

Comment

sowed all my broad bean varieties in pots and put them in the greenhouse.

Comment

Mine are in the conservatory, apart from an old batch of Aquadulce Claudia, which I put into a plastic fast food container with kitchen towel and a bit of water near the radiator indoors - within a week there they all had grown tiny roots and were transplanted into deep newspaper pots. I just wish my conservatory broad beans would germinate as fast! Hope you don't have to wait long Ruud.

Comment

Good to know, I've a packet of seed I bought a while back I wonder the spelling on it.

Comment

Oh - you had your Treasure Chest swap - they are exquisite! Nice swap indeed, Ruud.

Comment

Oooh they all look smashing

I saw pictures of purple T. Spiral on I think Seed Saver Exchange, I thought they looked gorgeous, I think they might be a cross, which should give scope for selection, great

I've been growing Yellow Aztec for a few years, mine aren't so uniform looking though, the colour is a bit variable.I'll be interested to hear what you think of them.

Hope they all do well for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X