Stephenson's Blue Eye x Robert's Royalty F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephenson's Blue Eye x Robert's Royalty F1

I attempted a couple of crossings last year, a bit fiddly and I lost some pods due to the wet weather. This is the only cross I managed to harvest seed from and they were a bit thin and immature looking. But I've been lucky enough to have 100% germination on the two seeds I planted. Quite excited

Click image for larger version

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	5852

Name:	036.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	5853

Even though I neglected my two little plants (never got planted out!) they were taller than I had expected and have managed to set some pods which I've rescued and brought inside. Chuffed to have some pretty speckled beans in purple pods
    Will grab a picture when I have a chance.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      yes please Jayb! Glad it worked out.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. I'm looking forward to having another go next year

Picture taken earlier on, purple on green pod.

Name:	006-001.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	6697

Comment

Pretty much dried,

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	6699

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	6700

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	6701

Comment

Very pretty complex seed pattern. Glad you got a good number after all Jayb.

Comment

Not counted them yet but not as many as I would have liked, but certainly enough to get me started plus I still have two F1's seeds. I'm not sure of the segregation chances, perhaps they'll be similar to peas? But it would be amazing to find some red pods in the F2's, looking forward to seeing how the pod colouring behaves, plus the seed patterns, then there's the hunt for snap types.....

Comment

Snap types? Not sure what you are selecting for? Stringless perhaps? Good luck. Crossing beans is so much more difficult than peas because of the twisted styles.

Comment

Snap/stringless for fresh eating, I would have said green beans, but Im hoping for some yellows and reds

Yes, definitely a little more tricksy than peas, several attempts were needed and then I lost some to the weather before harvest.

Thinking ahead I'd like to make some crosses with climbing beans next year, I'd likely grow them in the poly though which should at least help with dry harvesting them, there again mildew might be an issue!

Comment

Oh yes, green beans is a difficult term too. Bean speak is difficult. Yes red and yellow pods are attractive. Maybe there will be some.

Be careful about wanting to get fully dry pods on the plants. Time and again in damp conditions, the seeds inside the pods will germinate. Much better to take mature pods that are not fully dry yet and dry them off on the windowsill indoors At least you end up with seeds.
                Last edited by Galina; 20-08-2016, 22:50.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm not often that organised and sometimes need a bit of leeway with picking times, but good points and if I only have a few to harvest that will work well. The polytunnels can be quite useful too for hanging things up too dry, though the temperatures need to be kept an eye on.

Comment

Working...
                  X