Crimson-flowered vs Oldambster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimson-flowered vs Oldambster

I would like to grow either Crimson-flowered or Oldambster broad beans this year. I was going to grow several varieties but I need to control myself. How do they perform in terms of yield? Which variety is tastier?

I haven't grown any of those. The Syrian broad bean was the one I grew last two years. But in the green house the variety I'm growing at the moment is Grano Violetto. But I'm interested in the crimson flowered one.

Comment

King's Seeds has Crimson-flowered at a reasonable price. But beware, I did find bean weevils after soaking.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been soaking peas, when I had very old seeds which I put in the sprouter to test whether they were still viable. Works well and it is easy to pick out the ones that still have life in them. But French beans, especially the white seeded ones, can rot so quickly, I would not. Never tried with broad beans or with coriander. Do you break up coriander seeds before or after soaking Clumsy?

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        Coriander without breaking the seed at all. Everyone around me does the sprouting way.But I find the way I showed you works better. Patience sometimes is needed with coriander. Everyone has their own way. I just sow direct. The only seeds I sprout are chillies since I start them off early.

• triffid
        triffid commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd say it speeds up germination - I always soak broad beans and peas. Though with Phaseolus I agree it can lead to rot.

Yes there were round holes. About a day into soaking I found some drowned adults floating on the surface.

Anyone want some Crimson-flowered? I've now got some more that have no damage.

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I would be interested.
    Working...
    X