Crimson-flowered vs Oldambster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimson-flowered vs Oldambster

I would like to grow either Crimson-flowered or Oldambster broad beans this year. I was going to grow several varieties but I need to control myself. How do they perform in terms of yield? Which variety is tastier?

I haven't grown any of those. The Syrian broad bean was the one I grew last two years. But in the green house the variety I'm growing at the moment is Grano Violetto. But I'm interested in the crimson flowered one.

Comment

King's Seeds has Crimson-flowered at a reasonable price. But beware, I did find bean weevils after soaking.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been soaking peas, when I had very old seeds which I put in the sprouter to test whether they were still viable. Works well and it is easy to pick out the ones that still have life in them. But French beans, especially the white seeded ones, can rot so quickly, I would not. Never tried with broad beans or with coriander. Do you break up coriander seeds before or after soaking Clumsy?

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        Coriander without breaking the seed at all. Everyone around me does the sprouting way.But I find the way I showed you works better. Patience sometimes is needed with coriander. Everyone has their own way. I just sow direct. The only seeds I sprout are chillies since I start them off early.

• triffid
        triffid commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd say it speeds up germination - I always soak broad beans and peas. Though with Phaseolus I agree it can lead to rot.

Yes there were round holes. About a day into soaking I found some drowned adults floating on the surface.

Anyone want some Crimson-flowered? I've now got some more that have no damage.

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I would be interested.

Crimson broad beans are in full flower mode I posted a photo on the other allotment plot section. How are your's doing?

Comment

Yours are looking great! Mine were doing well, got a few pods setting, but now the blackfly are sucking the life out of them.

Comment

I prefer Oldambster and it is the Broad Bean I mostly grow. But this year I also stuck a few of the Crimson Flowered ones in the greenhouse at the other end of the garden as I am getting low on seed and your post reminded me to grow some out. Just in bud.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	crimsonflowered.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	9622

Comment

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Like the intense red flowers.

Decided to take a better photo. Never grown Oldambster before.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Let me know if you want some seeds.

Looking good! The flowers are gorgeous aren't they? Down here they've all finished flowering and I miss the scent and colour.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Their perfume is delightful!

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the colour of the flowers.

The seeds I've received this year appear very different from what I grew in 2019. Last year the testa on the seeds was a bright pea-green, whereas the batch I've received recently is a dark brown with some brownish-green . Anyone else noticed something similar?

Comment

I find the seeds discolour brown with age and loose that lovely green colour. It might just be your new seeds are not so fresh as the ones you grew last year. Are they from the same supplier?

Comment

• triffid
              triffid commented
              Editing a comment
              My first thought was that they were aged but they are from the same supplier. I suppose it is the most likely reason for the colour discrepancy.
              By the way, jayb, is your inbox full? I sent you a pm a little while ago

• jayb
              jayb commented
              Editing a comment
              Perhaps if they do not grow for themselves they may have bought seed from another supplier. I find they mostly all discolour with age, it's really noticeable with the yellow seeded ones too. Perhaps I'm not storing them well enough.

No inbox not full, thanks for pointing me in that direction, totally missed it and goodness knows when I would have found it!!!! I have replied.
          Working...
          X