Zola's Rose Ultrasweet (experimental)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zola's Rose Ultrasweet (experimental)

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about Zola's Rose Ultrasweet (experimental) corn? I'm really wondering what type it is I've written a note "I think sh2" but I can't find any information to where I got that from or if they are se corn?

You perhaps did the same search that I did. Quite a few people in US were apparently growing it in 2016. Nobody seems to report on it but it's mentioned that it's red, experimental and bought from J and L Gardens in New Mexico. (https://www.theeasygarden.com/search...?q=zola&o=date). They don't seem to offer it any more though.

That probably tells you nothing you didn't already know! But interesting. Good luck finding out what type it is.

Comment

Thanks for the link I hadn't come across those posts.
      Thank you.
      I think perhaps as the name includes Ultrasweet, it is probable it's sh2. Perhaps it was a limited trial, as not much info out there.

Comment

I emailed J and L gardens, but haven't heard back. It would have been good to have known the type and whether they were meant to be stable or segregating.
        I think I'll have around 45 seedlings although some are not growing on strongly, the seed was old and I'm impressed any germinated at all

Comment

45 seedlings is a good solid block.

I'm just struggling to come to terms with the realisation (I think) that having fewer than 100 or 200 plants means that saving seed is fairly pointless unless, presumably, allowing a mix of different varieties.

Are you assuming that once you've grown and sampled your Zola's Rose Ultrasweet that will be the end of it, or have you plans for making further use if it?

Comment

It's a daunting number indeed.

For Zola Rose, a stab in the dark somewhat, I've also started some Sativa Early corn. I'm hoping for a mingle and blend between the two!

Comment

Zola Rose grown 2020 gave a selection of cob types, sizes and colours, some were easy to shuck others not at all. Some of the white cobs had hints of pink in some kernels, others were bi-coloured with yellow. The coloured cobs were a range of reds and some purples I guess depending on the white or yellow mix. The ones I tasted were lovely and made great eating both fresh and cooked. Confusingly once dried some cobs look predominately very shrunken, others look much more like regular sweet corn kernels. There were very few or no maize type kernals from the plantings in the polytunnel. Which is a good sign I think.

I've started a selection for this year, hoping the weather improves!

Comment

Zola Rose has been slow to get going, it was very dry when I planted them out followed by quite cold weather. They are starting to pick up now but all the same, they have had a bit of a struggle and lost time. I'm hoping they get a move on as I'd like to be able to save some seed from these.

A note for the future the Colourful Sweetcorn 21 mix sown after these and planted in the poly-tunnel have overtaken them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4005.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	14429

Comment

• Jang
                  Jang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s an impressively large stretch of immaculately weed-free ground your Zola Rose selection has.

The weather has been so strange this season that I’m also finding corn is very variable in the speed with which it has got going, depending I think on what it encountered in the first three weeks or so after it was planted out. Some hasn’t really experienced any warm conditions yet. Let’s hope we - and it - get some fine drier weather soon.

• jayb
                  jayb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Me too Galina time is romping by and fingers are crossed, I swear the nights are already drawing in - boo hiss. Damaun is also planted at the bottom of the patch and my mouth drools at the thought of eating one, a long way to go but I wish they would hurry up!

• jayb
                  jayb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Jang, that area has moved to no-dig, so although some weeds and seeds popping up or through they are, so far easily managed and not much input needed. I covered the area last year with landscape fabric and have been adding mulch as I uncovered. I haven't put in paths anywhere as it would have been too much of a plan.

Too true, I was late sowing and planting my squash and beans, probably as well as they would have been destroyed in the stormes we had earlier, it was relentless for days. But even though the squash missed all that it's been so cold at times that it is only now they are starting to look like they want to take part.

Good to know you are having similar with your corn too, I hope yours get into their stride very soon.

Making progress, still with August (sorry to mention that word) around the corner.........
                I hope they have enough time. They are approx. knee height.

Name:	IMG_4463 Zola Rose.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	993.6 KB
ID:	14636

Comment

I can't believe how much these have grown since the 10th, just past elbow height and looking jungly lush.

Comment

Wouldn't you know it everything going to all be shedding pollen at the same time, oh well.

Zola Rose, lovely hints of colour.

Name:	IMG_5089.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	14849

Name:	IMG_5088.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	14850

Comment

Damaun growing at the bottom end of Zola Rose.

Name:	IMG_5087.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	14852

Comment

Glad these are doing well, they look terrific. The Damaun too. I had also tried to contact J&L about ZR, must've been a couple of years ago now. Didn't hear back and it's since been delisted.
                        Amazing how quickly corn grows when you turn your back.

Comment

• jayb
                          jayb commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's a shame, I emailed them too about ZR with a similar zero reply. I guess things change and people move on, I'd previously found them helpful. You're right I don't think they do seeds anymore which is a shame.

Doesn't it just, I hardly dare blink these days. Overall corn plants are looking stronger than they were last year.

• triffid
                          triffid commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Likewise; all things considered, ample moisture appears to play a starring role for their growth rather than abundant sunshine and very warm summer temperatures. The latter are limiting factors here this season, but the corn is thriving nonetheless. Last year I had to water them every day, with the soil drying out in between waterings, and they didn't have the same glow of health that they're showing currently.

Won't be too much longer to wait

Lost some stalks in the recent strong winds they just snapped clean off. Also the invading squash plants are a bit troublesome, the leaves are just so big they are a little overwhelming, worst when the vines latch on to the corn stalks they are just too strong growing for this type corn.

Name:	IMG_5373.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	15215

Name:	IMG_5378.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	15216

Name:	IMG_5369.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	15217

Comment

• triffid
                          triffid commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I love the silks. They remind me of Animal from the Muppets.

• jayb
                          jayb commented
                          Editing a comment
                          He was my fave!

• jayb
                          jayb commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm now seeing Animal(s) somewhere new every time I pass Zola's, makes me smile
                          I've never grown Muppet sweet corn before.

Or

Beaker

Name:	IMG_5368_beaker.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	15384

Comment

• Jang
                          Jang commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Lovely! I didn’t ever watch the Muppets but enjoyed googling and now feel the wiser. Beaker is apparently shy and Animal wild. I wonder which suits the nature of this developing cob better!

• Galina
                          Galina commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's funny

• triffid
                          triffid commented
                          Editing a comment
                          This is perfect!
                      Working...
                      X