se+ Sweetcorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• se+ Sweetcorn

Following on from another thread, varieties of se+ sweetcorn available to buy in the UK, I'm sorry I don't know if these are also offered for sale in Europe.

Incredible

Bodacious

Ambrosia

Luscious

All F1's with se inherited from both parents. A couple of bi-colours to boot.

Interesting. Incredible is very widely available. I hadn’t realised it’s se+.

So se+ is always an F1 with se from both parents?

Comment

Jang I think the + denotes a variety has inherited se from both parents. Se+ wouldn't need to be a hybrid, it could be a stabilized variety, although I think it is most probable that commercial varieties available are hybrids.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Apologies for not quite getting this, "If a variety has two parents of the same variety it's just se?" To me, a same parent cross for a variety would be from a stable variety otherwise, it's going to be a hybrid of the two. (Although I suppose in a way unless they are cloned offspring they are a hybrid just so similar, differences can't be discerned.)

I'm thinking if two different se parents -
      Say Incredible and Ruby Queen are crossed
      The resulting first year progeny is then grown and can be classed as an F1 se+ variety.
      And I guess growing out the generations would then in time give a stable se+ variety.

However, this is just me guessing and I don't know how complicated the gene mix for se is. I don't know the outcome of growing out and stabilising a se or se+ variety.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks jayb for persisting with this. I think I was trying to say something fairly close to your much clearer explanation. Giving the specific examples is very helpful.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm glad you asked, it got me thinking and I spent ages going off down different burrows thinking of different things. I'm sorry if I didn't help much I'd just had such info overload by the time I finished my reply.

I came across a SSW corn variety and wondered what it is. Found this at Jung Seeds blog https://blog.jungseed.com/growing-sweet-corn/

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. That’s a very clear, up-to-date and comprehensive guide.

I was surprised by the statement, “ In garden settings, space non-compatible varieties at least 25 feet from other corns in the garden.”

That seems much more doable than the distances often quoted. I guess it’s a bit risky at that distance but a reasonably manageable risk. I think I’d aim for a bit more myself, but also take note of wind direction.
Working...
X