Corn outgrowing my greenhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corn outgrowing my greenhouse

I’ve got 48 Fiesta plants squished into the back of my 6x8 greenhouse (behind the tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, aubergine and cucumbers) and I’m concerned because they are doing TOO well!

The stalks have hit the roof and bent across into the apex, and are now pushing forwards several feet along the inside of the roof. Obviously they have jammed themselves in place and although I’ve been able to ease a few stalks out I’m worried about how on earth they’re going to pollinate if the tassels can’t move?

From the outside I can see a few cobs with silks pressed against the glass, but there’s so many leaves I think they’ll be shielded from the pollen.

I haven’t grown corn many times before and don’t know enough about it - will it mind if I start trimming some leaves so it’s not such a solid mass of leaves? Then I’d at least be able to try to hand pollinate! My rabbits have offered to turn the leaves into manure for me.

Certainly a predicament. I would be reluctant to trim the leaves, how severely do you intend to prune them?

Comment

• Silverleaf
      Silverleaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Honestly I don’t know!

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no solution to offer I’m afraid, and can only offer sympathy ☹️. It doesn’t look promising.

In the circumstances not a lot to be lost perhaps by giving your rabbits a few leaves.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      They do look tight. I think difficult for the pollen to get to where it needs to be. Are you able to, amongst the jungle, collect pollen and transfer it to silks? I think I'd be tempted to remove some foliage.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Having a similar look with my PM corn, I can feel that the cobs are developing (on the ones I felt) how full they are I'll have to wait and see. I've gone round chopping some of the tops off above developing cobs to get a bit more light and air into the area.

I attempted some hand pollination in the greenhouse today after spotting a couple of cobs with silks - literally with my hand!

Comment

Good on you, it's a good enough way to do it.

I don't know if you have one of these or one you can borrow one but I've been trying one of these out https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
      I've found it quite helpful for puffing pollen in the right direction, they might just be a handy pollinator in tight spaces.

Comment

Thanks jayb, that looks like a very useful gadget so I’ve ordered one.

Comment

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool.
          Hope it helps
      Working...
      X