No announcement yet.

Double Red Sweet Corn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link to the A4A advice on bottles, jayb. I did in fact read something similar somewhere and tried bottles on each ripening cob two years ago. I found though that rats gradually got into the bottles and in some cases pushed them off even.
    Reading this now though, I think my slightly different method of cutting some of the neck of the bottle away was where I went wrong. Also I used bigger size bottles. So thanks, I feel renewed confidence and a determination to refine my technique!

Mysteriously and thankfully, all rats disappeared this last summer but the signs are that they’re making their way back albeit in more manageable numbers at the moment.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on the Real Seeds site as soon as February is with us. 😀

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Update: Jungle Seeds have Double Red (and quite a lot of other interesting stuff) so I’ve been able to put in an order straight away.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm glad you have found a source. I bought some courgette Cavili F1 and tea seeds from them quite recently

jayb the multi coloured sweetcorn near got round it to carry on I still have the seeds that I harvest that year in the shed at the allotment as long as the mouse hasn't got them by now. I need to check on the plot sunday haven't been for a while.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Fingers crossed the mice have left them alone for you.

Fresh from Carol Deppe, I'm wondering about breeding depression in relation to corn. You mentioned, jayb, in the earlier parts of this thread, saving seed from Double Red. The textbook advice seems to be that a large number of plants are needed to produce good quality seed.
    How have you found this in practice? How necessary is it?

Comment

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      How many plants did you keep for the Medzi seeds?

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew Hooker's Sweet Indian last summer, saved a lot of seed, but wasn't happy with the number of plants that made it through to adulthood. So I guess I'll see this season the results of limited population.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, this is part of what I’m wondering about having been made more aware of possible problems.
      I had a stand of about 30 plants perhaps and saved seed from about six. Certainly not text book numbers but I’m not sure how serious the shortfall is. As I sent seed to the Seed Circle I’m feeling that perhaps I should warn that there might be some inbreeding depression.

If I've been looking to save seed from one variety, I've aimed at 100 to 150 plants grown in a block and when possible hand-pollinated too. If looking for a crossing between varieties, fewer plants are fine but then you get into are they going to flower at the same time. Plus they don't always cross-pollinate as much as you would think so hand-pollinating is needed to ensure as much crossing as possible. As Double Red is now available to buy in the uk I would probably choose this route for these.

I've not repeatedly saved and grown out named varieties so I can't give much own information, other than saved seed has always germinated and grown well. The two varieties I grew for the seed Circle were in excess of 100 plants, I think closer to 150 but this is from memory.

Others I know have produced good seed using I think around 50 plants and employing hand pollination.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Usually paper bags are recommended, like the paper bags for supermarket speciality rolls or the type you get from market vegetable traders. But in prolonged rainy weather or in windy weather they are not particularly practical.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      So investing in something like this seems worthwhile? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100Pcs-Ec...foSa5mvlUuT7DA

I planted out my Double Red in the polytunnel yesterday thinking they might be slightly protected from too much cross pollination in there.
    The red colouration Is definitely present in the stalks but not as prominent as in some of jayb’s earlier photos. Perhaps it will develop as the plants mature or I wonder if it’s related to growing conditions. Click image for larger version

Name:	38D5C42B-02C5-48FB-8879-2372D3DF3A53.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	12903Click image for larger version

Name:	38C7D772-54CF-4B2B-9D3E-E4D5B116F485.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	12904

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you see red roots when you transplanted them? Just some of the root hairs being red?

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the main root hairs were red. I hope that’s a promising sign!
Working...
X