Martian Jewels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martian Jewels

Another of Alan Kapuler's varieties, I've not grown these before but I'm very much looking forward to seeing how they do. I'm only growing about 5 or 6 in with the plants for a mix, I'm hoping to cross these with Silver King, Luscious or Frosty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	074.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	3386

I'm not sure if I ever did, at least I don't remember having any seeds saved and labeled. I do have some of these types in a mix which will be lovely if they come as they really are an eye-catcher and a taster.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      You really made me curious now, must go google.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, they look amazing - white cobs on deep purple plants. Multi-purpose too as there is flour corn in the mix apparently, but also sweet for eating off the cob.

Are you thinking you grew them but didn't get round to making the cross or saving the seed, except in your general mix?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I don't think I made that/those crosses. I'm sure I would have saved them separately if I had. The Martian Jewels I grew defo went into the above harvest, as the dried cobs are quite distinctive.

I'm not quite sure which way around it is now but I think Purple Martian came first (bred from a white sweetcorn x a Hopi corn) and from that a further cross was made with Ruby Queen, giving Double Red. Purple Martian was also crossed again with another white sweetcorn resulting in the selection Martian Jewels. I think True Platinum might have been one of those whites.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      The Kapuler varieties sound amazing. To be looked into for another year. Are they all Su varieties, do you know?

Actually on checking my very limited variety notes, I have Ruby Queen as Se.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the ones I've mentioned are all su, but I'd have to check to be sure. Sorry to have misled, but I believe Ruby Queen (se) is not from Kapuler's breeding, even so it is a super variety and well worth growing. From memory it is a red rather than a purple, possibly a cross with a yellow corn in the background rather than a white, the colour is a little softer than Double Red.

I notice in the mix from 17, most reds are the purple-(reds) likely from Double Red but also some red types, though not as many, I think these ones are derived from Ruby queen, which is nice. Though they might just be a cross.

Thanks for the clarification, Jayb, but you hadn’t misled at all, I don’t think.

I’m interested in the crossing of an su type with an se type. Are the resultant offspring su and do su and se cross very happily?

Ruby Queen has to go on my must grow list!

Comment

They do cross readily with no quirky tasting nasties. I believe a combination of types are produced ( I think they follow normal inheritance) although in previous grow outs I did find difficulty in identifying se seeds vs su seeds, probably not clued up enough, or perhaps it is just downright difficult and in the end I wasn't able to. The Sweet 17 mix I'm growing or as it is now the Sweet 21 mix are a combination of su, se and se+ parents. They should carry the potential for both, I guess it just depends on what germinated, but I think they will be tending to be su simply because these type seeds remain viable longer than se, and the seed was old in sweet corn terms, just my thoughts.

Ruby Queen may be tricksy to track down, but worth it.

Comment

Interesting. Is there any practical need to separate su from se or to know which is which? I can only think of the fact that su doesn’t keep its quality on the plant as long, so needs to be picked at the right moment whereas se is more forgiving. Have I missed anything?

I know of se+ in theory but haven’t come across any examples. Are there many se+ corns in circulation.

Ruby Queen is available on eBay but at a price, as shipped from Australia or elsewhere.

Comment

I was aiming at the keeping quality, every little bit helps! It would have been good to be able to select se from su from this point of view but equally, I'm not too bothered to have them mixed.

Se+, not nearly as many as se. I had difficulty finding info on which varieties were se+, some of the US sites are more helpful with their info, but then the field is further narrowed by the UK availability of varieties they list. I'm afraid I've had a clear out of older seeds and seed packets so unable to check which varieties. I might have a list somewhere, if I turn it out I'll pop them on.

Good to know Ruby Queen is still available.

Comment

• jayb
            jayb commented
            Editing a comment
            Edit to add, just had a little search for Ruby Queen, one thing, to my knowledge it is a hybrid variety, so not sure what some of ebay sellers are offering? I did have some seeds from grow outs but I think lost with age, so unable to offer.

• Jang
            Jang commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, interesting point. So in fact there is no way of saving pure seed of several of the varieties mentioned in this thread - Double Red, Purple Martian, Martian Jewel, Ruby Queen. Unless they’ve been grown on enough to become stabilised?

Where did your original Ruby Queen come from?

• jayb
            jayb commented
            Editing a comment
            Double Red, Purple Martian, Martian Jewel are all stable varieties and seed can be saved. It's just Ruby Queen that is reported to be a hybrid, I did note that the plants grown from saved seed were very similar in type to the previous crop with no obvious rogues. I was never able to track down Ruby Queen myself, they were sent to me as a gift from a very lovely lady.
        Working...
        X