Sweetcorn Mix 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetcorn Mix 2017

I didn't get around to sowing Sweet corn until the very end of May this year. I went with a mix of varieties plus mixes I've already grown. I'm looking for a nice balanced mix with good range of colours although predominately reds. I'd like to see some bi and multi coloured cobs also. Looking to retain flavour while favouring se type plants and as these are all coming from a late sowing, they will have to be early to mid maturing to have a chance of producing and ripening seed.

Progress has been seemed awfully slow and the plants still look so small I'm wondering whether I'm growing a compost crop!

8th June, poor germination for some of the longer stored types.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	075.JPG Views:	1 Size:	278.3 KB ID:	8279

Freshly transplanted 22nd June and looking very pathetic and sad!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	012.JPG Views:	1 Size:	164.7 KB ID:	8280

Progress 15th July. I've tried where possible to plant alternate rows with reds then coloureds and yellows to get a good chance of mixing up the genes.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	055.JPG Views:	1 Size:	261.6 KB ID:	8281

I'm more curious about what varieties you are growing.

You never know the weather might still be nice around late september and early october. The weather is still not stable here it's cold in the morning warm midday then bit more warmer later through the day.

Comment

You're right the weather might still be ok, but pests will be getting hungry and on the look out for food

Oooh gosh now you've got me, this year I didn't write down the varieties. I know there are a couple of the commercial hybrid se corn I'm afraid I didn't make a note of the name, one was a bicolour, I'll have to see if I still have the packets. I put in quite a strong influence from Alan Kapuler, Double red, Martian Purple and Martian Jewels. I had some Ruby Queen left over and some of the the saved seed I named Red Jeannine. I put in a selection of saved seed from the mix 'Looking for coloured se' and 'Coloured Sweetcorn'. They would have been made up from a mix of open pollinated seeds saved from Rainbow Inca Sweet, Painted Hill, Double Red, Ruby Queen, Country Gentleman, Festivity Sweet, Anasazi, Black Aztec, Butter and Sugar, Silver Queen, Double Standard, Blue Jade, Sundance, and probably some more.

Comment

Your right about pest, first time I've ever seen a mouse eat chickpeas normally everyone else has that issue.

Interesting varieties I will be searching the net for more details.

Comment

My cross pollinated sweetcorn saved seeds from last year re-sown this year just harvested one cob so far due to the damage.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks a nice and well-filled cob, very pretty with all the bits of sprinkled colour.

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            It does look pretty.

The weather is still not stable here it's cold in the morning warm midday then bit more warmer later through the day.

Comment

Working...
          X