Tromboncino seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tromboncino seed

I've just opened a bought packet of Tromboncino seed and was surprised to find it's unlike any Cucurbita I remember meeting.

I just wanted to check that all is as it should be. Is this actually Trombonicino seed?

​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3133.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	13820

Just had a look at our Tromba d'Albenga seeds (which I believe is a synonym) and they look like pretty standard moschata seeds, nothing like the above.

Is it possible you received seeds for the Italian snake gourd 'cuccuzza'? https://www.theitaliangardenproject....lian-heirlooms

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you Triffid. These are lagenaria siceraria seeds, or gourd seeds. Trombo seeds look identical to butternut squash seeds, Jang. Never mind. These have white flowers, but the fruit must be eaten at a very young stage. Or it grows to inedible, woody alphorn proportions. Trombo can be pretty massive too, but these are even longer, full sized. Hope you are not too disappointed Jang.

Ah, thank you both and well spotted, Triffid. I really couldn’t see how these could be Cucurbita moschata seeds.
    Images of seeds don’t appear very frequently, so very good to have such a clear image of the gourd seeds as confirmation.

I am a little frustrated as I was looking forward to growing Tromboncino for the first time but I hope there is still time to find some replacement seeds. I think the gourd is a little beyond my capacity for this year. Perhaps another year. At least now the mystery is solved.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Plenty of time to grow. I am also planning on growing them up an obelisk, so that the fruits hang down straight. Just saw them advertised on Amazon and the seller has nicked my photo of the one where we had to take the greenhouse pane out in order to get it out, because it grew up the staging down again and then the front got squashed against the greenhouse glass pane.
      Last edited by Galina; 07-04-2021, 11:38.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Franchi has them both right next to each other, sorry you had the confusion, but they are easy to replace.

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I would have thought you still have ample time to source them. May I ask which company supplied you with the 'tromboncino' gourd seeds?

It’s a great photo, Galina. Something of a compliment I suppose but a huge cheek nevertheless.

The company I got them from is Seekay. I’ve had quite a lot of seed from them and they’ve been reliable otherwise. I’m in correspondence with them. They shrugged off my first email by saying they had the seed from a very reputable UK source and there had never been any problem before. I persisted and they were a little more convinced, saying
    “I shall have a chat with the supplier and see what they have to say about this. We have had these for over 6 years from them with no issues at all so I am slightly surprised that this could be the case. I shall get back to you when they respond to us. Sadly this could be a week or so as they are super busy and have limited contact at present due to Covid etc.”

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think Seekay stock gourds at all and they have now withdrawn these seeds. Hope you are getting the right ones soon.

I guess the fact that they’ve withdrawn the seeds suggests that they did take my suggestions seriously after their initial stock response. No offer of a refund though!

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment

I use Seekay sometimes, did they ever refund you or send you the correct seeds? Hope you got some started.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I did get some from another company and have plants under way, so looking forward. Are they best grown climbing up a frame or trailing along the ground - or are they happy either way?

No further response from Seekay but your question has prompted me to write again to Seekay and ask whether they’ve had a response from their supplier. Also suggested that a refund might be in order!

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine are planted at the base of an obelisk, intended for the fruit hanging down straight. If they are scrambling along the ground, the fruit will be very curly.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point Galina, I'm wondering if the same might be true of luffa's, though they are not as long fruited, always supposing they do fruit.

My tromboncino has started with some female flowers, am I right in thinking I can use these as mini squash whilst the males catch up? I'm sure I remember Squash 64 (A4A) singing their virtues.

Thinking I should have put in more than one plant, How many are you guys growing?

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      3 plants. One obelisk with 2 the other with the third plant. But I only have male flowers at the moment. Yes the female flowers are already sizeable courgettes. I have certainly eaten just the flower and embryo.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the confirmation
      Oooh, I could do with some of those male flowers here, squash plants are so weird and temperamental. I've sometimes wondered if it is printed in invisible ink on the seeds - female flowers only or male flowers only for 1 month!
      Last edited by jayb; 21-07-2021, 05:38.

Would you eat your mini females with the flower as well? I believe this might be considered a delicacy all round.

I have four plants. One is growing along the ground in a bed of squash, one is in the polytunnel growing up a kind of makeshift frame and two are growing up a fence. Having had the hitches over getting the right seed, I thought I’d make reasonably thorough use of it. I’ve no real idea of expected yield though. I imagine this should probably give far more than we can use. One plant is probably much more sensible.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      They are however cucurbita moschatas, albeit the easiest moschata to grow. In a heatwave they will do very well, but you will not get the glut that you get from courgettes. And of course any eaten as courgettes will not be stored fully grown for winter. Glad that you finally got the right ones to grow and that they are doing well. .

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      "Would you eat your mini females with the flower as well? I believe this might be considered a delicacy all round." I think I need to search around for recipes might be called for. You've made them sound exotic and something to be cherished. If anyone has any advice or ideas I'm all ears.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not so sure Jang, taking what you have both said, I think my one plant might have been a mistake. I did mean to plant two others in pots but never got around to it. 
      They are indeed enjoying the heat at the moment.

Yay, finally a few fruits forming in the jungle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5470.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	15141

Hope the both of you didn't have plants so shy.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I finally have the one. But the idea of the obelisk for them to get straight fruit doesn't seem to work out. I had 2 not pollinated fruit and one nice fat one. But all of them started off with a bend before going straight.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I think mine all have had at least one bend too.

My only certain Tromboncino fruit. is one outdoors growing up a fence. I agree that growing them up doesn't guarantee a straight one. Mine all start off with a pronounced bend; nothing anywhere near as straight as Jayb's.

My polytunnel plant seems to produce lots of females which look promising for ages but actually then don't develop. I presume they're struggling to find pollinators; perhaps I need to attempt to give a helping hand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4324.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	15162

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I hand-pollinated my first two. Male flowers are still in short supply and no guarantee the bees were going to get the pollen to the right flowers (unless you didn't want them to)

I love how your growing space appears so calm and relaxed, looks really tranquil. I think it looks like a lovely spot to just sit, chill and relax. I just seem to have a noisy and messy jungle or two to contend with.
Working...
X