Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jayb
    commented on 's reply
    Cheers, that gives me hope. I noticed a couple more little female flowers coming along, I'll go have a chat

• Galina
    commented on 's reply
    Seen somebody else's on the allotment group on fb and they looked just like yours in development This seems to be normal for lufah. to add another spelling.

• jayb
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not sure time is on their side, but you are right I shouldn't be impatient. It's still warm enough at the moment and I think having cleared out the sweetcorn will give them a boost of light.

• Galina
    replied
    Give them time, growing nicely.

Leave a comment:

• jayb
    replied
    A few more loofa or luffa (never quite sure which it is) are in the making. Overall, in all honesty, it's not much of a return. But I'm sure I can grow them better and I think for next time an earlier sowing and more sunshine as the plants were swamped and shaded between climbing beans and the tall sweetcorn growing in the poly. Hopefully, there will be some ripe seeds to save for next year, the bees adore the flowers. Plus I've bought a pack of Luffa seeds from Real Seeds to see if they are a bit more adapted than the ones I grew this year.
    In the background is my one and only Johnson County Greasy bean plant, I think it has designs on poly-tunnel domination.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6022.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	15780

Leave a comment:

• jayb
    commented on 's reply
    I hope so.

• Jang
    commented on 's reply
    Looking promising. You’ll be scrubbing that back yet.

• jayb
    replied
    I was giving up hope but finally a fruit set

Name:	IMG_5930.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	15647

and hopefully these two will carry on growing.

Name:	IMG_5931.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	15648

Leave a comment:

• jayb
    replied
    Well, we have female flowers just no males yet. I'm wondering if luffa need a good long season as well as a nice bit of warmth to succeed?

Name:	IMG_5532.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	15143

Male buds

Name:	IMG_5533.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	15144

Leave a comment:

• Galina
    commented on 's reply
    My sweetcorn has doubled in size over the last 3 days after a thorough sulk after planting out. Despite being started properly, each in a deep toilet roll inner, which was properly torn away at the top to allow for good contact with the soil. But now it has just galloped. Wonderful. Two squashes too. I already have 5 set buttercup squashes and several custard marrows. But Sibley and Todo el Ano (should have a tilde on the n or it means something rude) are still not producing any female flowers at all. Need to give them a good talking to also

• jayb
    commented on 's reply
    I know it's almost like that first look around the garden after getting back from holiday, not that I've done that for a few years. My squash patch has really gone a bit bonkers.

• triffid
    commented on 's reply
    Amazing what a week of decent weather can accomplish. Looking at the beans and squash today and thought 'Who are you? And what have you done with the sad little vines that live here?'

• jayb
    commented on 's reply
    Yet to spot anything male-looking on the plants, but yes a little promise.

• jayb
    replied
    What a difference, a week -ish of sunshine and the little Luffies are starting to look happy, they are finally noticeably growing (all except the smallest who is still a sulky luf).

Leave a comment:

• jayb
    commented on 's reply
    I'm afraid I've been neglecting mine and just left them to their own devices now they are a right jumble. I've finally, a mix of male/female flowers and I did try a bit of hand pollinating yesterday so thank you for your post. That was my hope that a poly-tunnel would provide enough comfort for them.

You too
Working...
X