Bush Buttercup maybe-maybe not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush Buttercup maybe-maybe not

These might be a seed/label mix-up or perhaps crossed seed.
    Packet description "like Buttercup squash, but these produce on 3-4' bush plants that stay compact." "3-4lb fruit"

Plant one confusingly has provisionally set two fruit that look quite different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5101.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	14838

Name:	IMG_5099.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	14839

Plant two, started off quite compact and is putting out quite a few small type fruit close together on the stem although it is looking unlike any have set. The plant has started sending out runners.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5100.JPG Views:	1 Size:	201.5 KB ID:	14841
    Last edited by jayb; 29-07-2021, 08:18.

Comment

The third plant again initially compact in type it is now sending out runners and the fruit is well yellow.

Name:	IMG_5102.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	14843

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Very confusing. Yellow fruit is usually bad news. My bush buttercup had very long vines. My ordinary buttercup this year not so much. The second fruit on plant one looks a little strange, it may well develop a larger protrusion, the first one looks exactly right. They are such a good squash and store well, can't have too many of them. Where did you find the seeds?

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        I now think in fact plant 1 is actually two plants which makes a bit more sense.
        Baker Creek a few years ago, though I haven't seen them there since.

Plant 1a (first picture) first fruit has started to develop. I had at the time selfed the flower, though now it is likely I actually crossed plant 1a with plant 1b.
      !a plant growth is very compact. Unfortunately when the second female opened there were no male flowers available so I've crossed it with Gold Nugget with a view to more bush type varieties in the future. I can see a couple of young female flowers growing, the aim is to get one true pollination.

Name:	IMG_5195.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	15081

Comment

Plant 1b, this fruit doesn't look like it's developing and is quite different from 1a. This vine is strong and going to be quite long. Several female flowers forming. These two plants obviously have to share available resources.

Name:	IMG_5198.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	15083

Comment

Plant 3, the fruit is growing but looks like it is going to be a small one. Vining type plant. I did think the fruit looked similar to Gold Nugget but the plant is growing too long to be GN.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5197.JPG Views:	1 Size:	254.2 KB ID:	15085
          Last edited by jayb; 03-08-2021, 07:55.

Comment

So plant 1a made just one fruit in the end, another one grew to half size before going yucky. The plant is very much a bush type and the fruit is either selfed or more likely crossed to 1b, either is fine by me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6243.JPG Views:	0 Size:	414.3 KB ID:	15860

!b (below) has trailed more than 8' and has I think 2 or 3 fruit, hard to tell at the moment as it grew into the dahlias. I attempted crosses with these and think I have
            1b x Bylinka and
            1b x Sibley cross. I won't get too excited until I see some seeds, but hopefully little projects in the making

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6246.JPG Views:	0 Size:	314.3 KB ID:	15861
            Last edited by jayb; 25-09-2021, 08:16.

Comment

Plant 2 is a right trouper by the look of it, I think it might be Red Lamp F1 or possibly Gold Nugget. I've selfed some and had lots of fun making crosses to these, several of which look to have taken. Trailing type growth.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6244.JPG Views:	0 Size:	419.6 KB ID:	15863

Comment

Plant 3 is much the same as plant 2, although not as many fruits appear set, they are slightly bigger and possibly flatter.

Name:	IMG_6245.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	15865

I'm still not sure how these became so muddled up, I guess it happens.

Comment

What a wonderfully productive patch, whatever emerges.

I take it that you’re interested in developing some bush strains. Is that simply for interest and variety? Or do bush varieties tend to yield more squash per square metre than trailing types? Or you can simply get more plants of different varieties into the same space?

Just trying to get a handle on the advantages or otherwise of bush varieties.
                  Last edited by Jang; 25-09-2021, 09:38.

Comment

Working...
                  X