No announcement yet.

All our cucurbits in 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a lovely bonus, guess the soil under the woodchips must have been good too, as roots go deep.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      The top surface where the seeds germinated was a good metre off the ground but yes, that bay has had manure as well as woodchip over the last few years.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope they taste good too. I had a 'freebie', presumably a cross between Sweat Meat and Buttercup growing right out of the way in the grass behind the greenhouse, but the one fruit it bore was pathetically small, the opposite of your bounty. With crosses you can be lucky or not, but at least they will be edible.

In the end a single Black Futsu developed and is currently ripening on the window sill. Along with a few Blue Kuri and a Shishigatani.
    Not a single female flower appeared on the Lai Khao Toks. They grew into huge vines so I'm not sure what was inhibiting them. Shall try again next year, early start on a hot bed.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Well in the end this is all you can do to gain a bit more time. I will have to do the same because the giant achocha are a month or two short of growing time here. To what degree both of our issues is a daylength problem. You had the big vines, they could. have sustained a fruit, so why. And daylight sensitivity is the only thing I can think of. Frustrating. At least the others came good in the end. But it doesn't look like you had a plentiful harvest this year Triffid.
Working...
X