Tromboncino end rot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tromboncino end rot

I have quite a few Tromboncino developing now, and have harvested and cooked some for the first time.

But a significant proportion are quietly rotting at the end away from the stalk. Is this quite common with Tromboncino or is there something I can do to avoid it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5BABB5DA-BC3D-44FF-A863-4EC178AE400D.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	15395

The one at the bottom looks to not be properly pollenated. Maybe the one at the top also? Maybe the plant has enough fruit and is discarding some. There is also that yellowish patch on the fruit at the top. Well courgettes they are. On the other hand this one of mine stored for months. The note said that it had no seed cavity. Doesn't seem to have materially affected growth including limited storage! Proves yet again that all cucurbita have a tendency or ability to be parthenocarpic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tromboncinonoseedcavity.JPG Views:	4 Size:	116.0 KB ID:	15404
    Last edited by Galina; 22-08-2021, 06:42.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, tromboncinos seem to get to quite a good size even when not properly pollinated and then fall off. I wondered whether even the large one could be partly pollinated but not completely. Or perhaps, as you say, the plant simply has enough; there are certainly more on the plant. I’ll have another look for a count. That bigger one is larger than it looks in the photo and is providing quite a few meals worth. Needs to be eaten quickly I figured.

But also the fruit in your photo seems to have an end which doesn’t look quite healthy, so encouraging that it stored well.

My one plant has a huge first set fruit with a big bulb. On checking it doesn't seem if the later 2 or 3 fruits are developing a bulb or getting particularly big, probably about a quarter or third of the size of the big one. There has been a steady stream of male flowers too, so I think perhaps you are right and the plant is pacing itself. Funny because earlier on when it was only female flowers on the plant, none started to develop any size, but now it's like they might be pollinating but then sending a message to abort.

Comment

Working...
    X