Ambercup (op) Squash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambercup (op) Squash

Seeds came from A4A seed Circle, I think I have 3 plants and they are both fairly early and vigorous growers! These came from an avid grower in The Netherlands and have been grown for approximately 7-8 years from the original F1. They come with an excellent report for taste and I'm very much looking forward to sampling them, I can't really get very close to these at the moment but there looks to be a fair amount of fruit forming. I did make a couple of selfing attempts earlier on, but I'm not sure if they are developing. The largest fruit I can see is around the size of a rugby ball.

Click image for larger version

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	3688

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	3689

Name:	082.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	3690

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	3691

Wow these are getting big now! The largest has to be two foot in length, they are much bigger than I was expecting?

Name:	155.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	3806

Comment

I have one small fruit (no matching male to pollinate it). Yours are so much further ahead.

Comment

I think I must have fluked it and just hit it ok. Have you other maximas around? These have been one of the varieties to have been producing a steady amount of males, although they have slipped several fruit.
        Fingers crossed I have a selfed fruit, I know it's not the same but if successful I can share seeds with you.

Squash have really taken off, I think I've planted them a bit too tight but they seem to be doing well despite my help. Although I've really no idea what's producing if anything on the inside rows (I've two lines of maxima and another two of a mix of buternuts and other moschata). It's all a bit of an overgrown mass now to be able to do any pollinating, I've got sibley up one end and I'd really like to get some fresh seed this year.

Comment

This is mine. Yes there are other maxima around, one of them my attempt to find out which the 'real' Chersonskaya squash is (I have 5 plants of that). Another is Australian Butter which is finally producing male and female flowers and I hope to have one or two together at the same time at last. Pushing it a bit for time, but I have learned my lesson about starting earlier.

It will be interesting to see how this one turns into the orange squashes I have seen on Google Image. Guess that must be the storage colour?

Comment

A slightly different shape to mine. My oldest one (post 2) is getting slightly darker, so yes perhaps a colour change when ripe.
            Funny the differences in plants, here Australian Butter surprised me in getting down to business quickly (after you take into account the slow start they all had) Next time might be quite different!
            Look forward to hearing about Chersonskaya squash, they look lovely.

Comment

I had a look at these yesterday, I can see a few little ones going brown, I guess not pollinated which isn't too surprising given this odd season. I've a couple that I HOPE are fully grown now, colour is starting to look a bit richer and they are a fun shape. I'll try and get a picture later if it stops raining!

Comment

Part of my clog in the picture to give an idea of size.

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	3954

Comment

• Galina
                  Galina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Goodness, you were not joking when you said 2 foot! This is more the size of a banana squash. And the colour is changing to amber.

Lol, not far off! They are thicker round the middle too, it'll be two hands to carry this beauty! Not quite what I had imagined it would be like, it's more a Amberhugemug than a cup!
                I've been looking forward to trying this one for ages, it's going to take some eating!

Comment

Some of the squash plants are starting to die back, I spotted the fruit from another Amber Cup plant, they are a different shaped fruit to the first one and much smaller. These are much more like I thought they would be, a shame no selfed fruit.

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	4176 Click image for larger version

Name:	015-001.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	4177

How are yours turning out Galina?

Comment

Still very small, but more the shape of your second set of pictures, no giant mugs here )
                    Last edited by Galina; 12-09-2015, 17:10.

Comment

These are my two from three plants (starting much earlier next year because trying to outsmart the period where the young plants sulk in the garden was evidently a mistake and too late). I think at least here they are quite slow growing and not entirely happy. Have fed and watered adequately but they would need another month of proper sun and 4C a couple of nights ago wasn't too good either.

The first one hasn't grown much compared to the earlier picture, the second has the same white stripes as yours. Jayb, and a slightly more oval shape. I hope these will still grow to some sort of maturity.
                      Last edited by Galina; 08-09-2015, 13:37.

Comment

It's going to be a poor harvest here, I've been lucky to get some fruits(I think more than I'll need) but I have grown quite a lot of plants. Thinking back to how the weather was, I'm not sure an earlier planting would have been any better here this year as it was just so miserable. Even so I'll be trying to get mine in a little earlier next year, I'm going to use the weed membrane again it has worked well here, more work to get them planted but pretty much maintenance free afterwards.I think all I've done is splashed on some water once to the water/feeder bottles that I could spot. My spacings were a bit close though and I might skip a row to give more room next year or be a bit more on the ball training the two edge rows to grow to the sides rather than go inwards.

They're cute fruit, overall rounder than the ones I grew. Stripes look pretty on the second one and I like the green yellow of the first. Even though they are so varied, if they taste good I'll grow a couple next year, as this year they have both produced better than average on my plot.

Comment

The third plant has set a fruit too and it looks just like your third photo. Guess it is a 'Behemoth Ambermug' - except that it has set so late, we will probably get large courgette size at first frost due to the slow rate these are growing here.
                          Last edited by Galina; 12-09-2015, 17:11.

Comment

Cool name and does look very much like the biggy above I'm growing. Funnily enough it is almost growing alongside the biggy imposter I've grown, goodness if they have crossed what would they produce......!

Comment

Working...
                            X