Lower Salmon River Squash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Salmon River Squash

My first year growing these and after a fairly slow start (for pretty much all the squash) they have now taken off well, there looks to be several fruit formed and hopefully one I self pollinated. But its quite overgrown now so not so easy to tell. Fruits are a curious shape and I can't quite think how they are going to look when ripe!

Seed came from Adaptive seeds http://www.adaptiveseeds.com/winter-...-river-organic and from their description it sounds like one that should do well here in the UK, coupled with great taste and good storage. Looking forward to these, I think 2 or 3 plants growing, so far they all look to be uniform and good growers! They are a bright yellow, not a hint of that gorgeous salmon pink colour yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	074.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	3693

Name:	072.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	3694

Name:	085.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	3695

Cool the middle one is the selfed, looks like it may have taken.

Some bigger ones

Name:	026.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	3738

Name:	028.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	3739

Comment

Some of these are starting to change colour now, they have turned from yellow to a pinky buff so far.

Name:	053.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	4052

This ones skin is not so smooth, feels quite lumpy.

Name:	057.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	4053

Comment

Oh, I make smilies the 'classic' typist way: colon followed by closed bracket for ordinary smilie, with open bracket for sad smilie, semicolon with closed bracket for wink etc. Sorry I did not add this as a comment above, but after 3 comments the top comment disappears and has to be 'fetched' and that can be a bit confusing.

Ah but isn't lumpy-bumpy skin a sign of maturity? I am pleased to see it on mine.

Also, we are used to seeing uniformity with vegetables. All maxima squash defy close 'uniformity'. They are a pretty variable bunch even if perfectly pure breeding.

Comment

Ah, thanks, will try that. I still don't always get comments and miss some for ages!

It's lovely to see the variety between the plants, I've no worries with lumpy, just I hadn't expected one to be, especially as the other of about the same age is smooth in comparison, Mmm, roasted squash I can't wait

Comment

Getting closer

Name:	089.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	4349

Comment

I had some nice ripe fruits from these, love the colour. They are storing well and so far I have only eaten the hand pollinated one. Skin is tough, needs a bit of effort to get into and the flesh is not quite as rich in flavour as I thought it would be, still very good though. I like these and will grow them again, I'm interested to see much better they could do in a good year.

Name:	081.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	4920

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	4921

Colours not very good in the second picture, not really enough light for taking pictures.

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	4922

Knife skills are a bit wonky, this one weighed in around 12lbs before being opened.

Comment

Not surprising with flesh this thick. They do look good

Comment

Forgot to say this one went into the Seed circle too, hope everyone who grows them likes them

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	4931

I can't remember if I've picked Lower Salmon out to grow again or not, I'll have to get out this years hopefuls and write them down!

Comment

A huge amount of seeds out of just one squash?

I get the problem very frequently that the seed count is low in handpollinated squashes. I am still trying to get a full quantity of seeds out of Todo el An~o for the seed circle.
                Galina
                Isolating and Pollinating
                Last edited by Galina; 16-02-2016, 14:37.

Comment

Yes I was lucky, they are all from the one fruit, though I discarded a fair amount as they were either not firm to a squeeze or thin with one end not filled properly. I find it hit or miss sometimes, you think you've done a good job but then you cut in and zilch all empty shells! I haven't opened the hand pollinated Long Island Cheese yet, I'm hoping there will be some to save.

Comment

Just out of interest, do you wash and dry or do you ferment squash seeds? Always washed and dried here. I read that with the fermenting method empty seeds just float off with the bits of flesh. I always have to inspect and handle each seed. Don't think with the average kitchen temperatures at this time of year I could even get the fermentation process going in the first place.

Comment

Normally with squash I wash them as best I can, rub them in an old towel and then put them to dry. Cucumber and melon I tend to ferment to get rid of bits and floating seeds. Defo not fermenting temperature in my house! Other than the airing cupboard, urgh the smell would be rank

Comment

Working...
                    X