Japanese Pumpkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Pumpkin

I grew these again last year, they grew fairly well though not as many fruits as previously, I think the weather wasn't the best for squash and pumpkins last year. I originally had this variety from the ISSA and they describe them as a small to medium fruit with skin colour range from orange to green, though I've only had green, slightly striped skinned fruits from the different plants I've grown. Possibly some crossing at some time or better summers than I get here!

They are a good tasting pumpkin, pretty to look at and they have an interesting shape. size, not too big which is always nice for me, around the 5- 9 lb range. They store well and are easy to cut open and prepare. Taste is good, nice fine orange flesh.

Click image for larger version

Name:	158.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	4903
    Hand pollinated fruit forming

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	4904
    Same Japanese pumpkin fruit growing

Name:	024.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	4905
    Same one taking on a more mature dark green colour.

Name:	079.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	4906
    Japanese Pumpkin freshly harvested.

I've added some Japanese Pumpkin seeds to A4A Seed Circle this year.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you - the squash shape to match the Sosulka tomatoes

From green to orange as storage colour is a common colour change for c maxima. And the extent of the change varies as we know from other varieties.

Is the flesh moist (hubbard squash style?) or dry flaky? The shape reminds me of the hubbard types.
      Last edited by Galina; 14-02-2016, 12:17.

They are quite a fun shape, Umm, it's a little while since I ate the last one, I'll wait until I've sampled the one waiting in the fridge to give a better opinion. I've a bit of a backlog of squash needing to be eaten!

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      OOOh, what a delicious backlog problem to have ................

Roasted Japanese Pumpkin last night, in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil. Mmm, so good! Sweet, creamy, silky smooth and yes nice 'moist flesh'.
    I knew I liked these!

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the flavour report, Jayb. And a good size for the kitchen too. Yum!

Yes the size is pretty good, well for me anyway, I'm usually the only one eating it which makes using bigger types more problematic. Soup making is usually my standby for using up quantity.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Love squash soup!

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmm, luckily I do too, as I seem to be eating an awful lot of it at just now!
Working...
X