Sibley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sibley

They were planted late but looks like I will at least get one.

Looks the typical Sibley shape. Hope it grows fast. This is a good winter squash.

Comment

I can't remember what variety this is found growing. Getting a few winter squashes appearing around the plot now.

Comment

Another Squash found since the leaves are dying back.

Comment

Nice finds! Have you kept a list of what varieties you planted?

Comment

update on the sibly. Getting big.

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Leave them as long as you can, they should put on a lot of growth in the next couple of weeks.

Found couple more in the under growth.

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment

Update on the squash getting big. Soil too wet to step on and take photo of the other one hopefully that one is getting big also.

Comment

Decided to harvest them today. Happy considering I sowed them late.

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                The one in the front is bigger than any I've grown so far. And compared to the last photo just over a week ago, that's very good progress.

• clumsy
                clumsy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes the progress was good if you see the first post at the top then a month later it got big without me watering just rain water and no fertilizer at all. I just planted it and left it to to grow. I was thinking about the growing method maybe I should have used a fertiliser to see if it would have got any bigger. Maybe do a comparison next year.

Love that you grew these Clumsy, wow didn't they do well from that late June sowing. Hope you liked them

Here's the first little fruit on my one plant from the last of the seed. It has been hand-pollinated very immature yet and I'm very much hoping it sets and stays.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5091.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	14847

Comment

• Galina
                Galina commented
                Editing a comment
                That was my early morning garden job today. Sibley has produced two females and two matching males that got handpollinated this morning and just now I have found another matching pair for tomorrow. Sibley has a taste very much of its own, which I love. The big seed cavity makes for not such a large squash, but the flavour is something to look forward to.

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Fab, they got their timing together so well, makes it so much easier.
                I did a second flower too, I'm hoping one or both of these hold as the runners are headed off into the overgrown maze and I don't think I'm going to even try to go in there.

Snap.

Name:	sibley.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	14945

Comment

• jayb
                jayb commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking blooming lovely

Yes did enjoy them. I was glad I grew it. I did grow it the following year also. Miss growing this kinda of stuff. I enjoy just coming to this forum seeing what everyone is growing.

Comment

Are you not growing on your allotment or at home this year Clumsy?

Comment

• clumsy
                  clumsy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At home I took the greenhouse down and the raised has 3 french bean plants and lemon balm plant because it was going to use the space to build a wet room and and bedroom for my mum. But the builders they let me down made few excuses. I decided had enough with them now struggling to find someone in my budget unfortunately every quote I get is way over what I can afford. The social services don't understand so stuck.

The allotment few people have taken over my plot they have loads of courgette plants and few pumpkins. The greenhouse has tomatoes,cucumber,chilli's. Few weeds are growing did have to visit last week. New charity run by former police personnel wanted help. Introduced them to few people that will be able to help with rotovating,building raised beds, gave them contact details for manure, got some to give them planks of wood for raised beds etc. I can do all this yet can't help my mum with what she needs. Sorry sometimes the emotions get in the way.

• Jang
                  Jang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s really tough, Clumsy. I’m sorry you’re having to give up most of your growing to care for your parents. I hope you’re finding some way of caring for yourself a bit in the midst of everything else.
                  It sounds like you’re trying every way you can to get that wet room built for your mum. You deserve to find the right builder very soon.

• jayb
                  jayb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I remember now something from last year, you said you were having difficulties. I'm sorry things still aren't happening with the building work. Is there any way to rethink how the inside layout of the house could work to make it more manageable? You move upstairs and your parents downstairs and convert part of a room for a bathroom, to save on cost. But I'm sure you've been through this a hundred times already. Frustrating how it often happens we are able to do things for others more than those we love most. But one thing I know is you are resourceful and I think if anyone can get this done it is likely to be you.

I'm sorry most of your growing has had to stop for the moment, perhaps a few stolen moments at your plot when safe to do so might just be the charge your batteries need Take good care and I hope your situation eases soon.

This the first Sibley fruit seems to be growing away well,

Name:	IMG_5223.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	15139

the second I fear has changed its mind and will be a no-go.

The wind has changed the direction of a Sibley shoot, I may have another chance to pollinate a flower.

Comment

Working...
                X