Pineapple!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pineapple!

I was sent a pineapple plant in December, it has had to rough it a bit for a few weeks but finally, there is room under the lights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	107.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	10700

The fruit has at least doubled if not tripled in size, though the picture makes it look bigger than it really is. I've no idea if they are just a novelty or if they grow to a full-size fruit. Anyone have any experience or advice? The pot it is in at the moment seems a bit small, so perhaps potting on is on the cards.

I know pineapple plants can be started/grown from the tops of the fruit though take a good while to flower.

I know of folk who managed to root the very top of the pineapple and the leaves above for a new plant from a bought pineapple. But none have ever reported harvesting their own fruit. This is looking really good. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I know growing one from a top you would usually throw out sounds fun and an excellent way to recycle. I remember reading about it before, I even bought the greenest leaved pineapple I could find and then it all went wrong can't remember what happened but the poor thing ended up on the shelf. It waited for too long and when I got around to cutting it up, it was a tad too shriveled to bother attempting to root it. I'm tempted to have a go though, I like that they don't need much water, has a chance of surviving my growing!

When I was having a google, a few places mentioned either laying a well-grown pot grown plant on its side to encourage flowering or to place in a large bag with some ripe apples as apparently ethylene triggers flowering.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Stupid question, is the part we eat actually the fruit or is it a fleshy part of the plant that happens to be sweet, and it will flower out of the "crown" at the top or is the fruit the result of a previous flower?

No, it's a great question.
      It is an actual fruit following a flower, I've never seen a flower but I know you can find little dark seeds in the sort of diamond scale of the fruit (sorry don't know the proper term) I collected some once and sowed them but the label slipped down in the pot and I re-used the compost for other things. It was then I found a few posts/articles about growing them from the fruit tops, which is quicker apparently at around 2-3 years!

But they appear to be self-perpetuating in the sense a pineapple plant has the potential to produce only one pineapple fruit, but if the leafy top from the ripe fruit is cut, prepared and planted then it is able to form roots from the nodes-nodules from the now base (which was at the top of the fruit top where it started to be leafy) All the fleshy fruity bits need to be trimmed off and I think the stem needs to be left to air dry for a day or two before planting. The top then continues to grow and in time etc produces a flower.

So I guess they are able to reproduce by seed and by 'top-setting' Perhaps as the fruit ripens it topples over or the not so tasty top is not eaten by animals/insects but dropped to the ground where it is able to clone its self again while the seeds (presuming they might be cross pollinated) get spread around also.

Comment

Thank you Jayb for this explanation. Walking pineapple akin to walking onions is an interesting concept. I have never looked for seeds and not seen any. Chances are that more than one plant might be required also for pollination.

Comment

It's just my interpretation, the bit of blurb that came with it said about only one fruit on a plant. But I like the notion of 'walking pineapples', sometimes a shame we are not more tropical. I hadn't thought about the pollination bit, hmmm.

Comment

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            I remember reading they grew pineapples in a hotbed greenhouse in the 17th century in england. I can't find the article at the moment.

• jayb
            jayb commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, now you write that it brings an image of ummm I can't quite think of his name ( might have been henry dobson) but an older and a very sound and steady gardener. I think a tv program quite a few years ago, I'm sure I have a book or dvd, I'll have a look over the weekend. He worked on a walled garden I think on an estate and remembered how they used to grow things and he talked about hotbeds and possibly pineapples! If you do come across the article I'd be interested to read it.

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Loved watching this series. It was Harry Dobson, you reminded me Jayb. Victorian Kitchen Garden was the name and it had the most wonderful title music also with clarinettist Emma Johnson.

https://cityfarmer.info/the-victoria...n-bbc-tv-1987/
            Last edited by Galina; 06-02-2020, 09:51.

Pineapple seeds

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	11131

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	11132

Comment

• Jang
            Jang commented
            Editing a comment
            Time to try from seed again perhaps?!
            But how is your plant doing now? Is the fruit still increasing in size?

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            WoW! I need to observe much better next time we have a pineapple.

• jayb
            jayb commented
            Editing a comment
            Still growing a bit, but I don't think much. I can't see it will ever get to regular size and I fancy a changing colour. Still, it's fun growing it and gives a hint of tropics in a gloomy winter!

I've put a few seeds from that one to one side, I thought I might try them.
            Galina, once you spot them I bet you see them every time then!
            Last edited by jayb; 06-02-2020, 10:50.
        Working...
        X